Referral for Travel Assistance

Hi guys,

I am looking forward to submiting my application for a scholarship to attend the WWDC this year! I would require travel assistance. According to the guidlines, it says:

"Travel assistance may be granted to up to one hundred and twenty-five (125) scholarship recipients. If you have extenuating circumstances that would require travel assistance to attend the conference, let us know in 500 words or less. To be considered, you will also need to provide a letter of reference (PDF or PNG) from a teacher, supervisor, or other person of authority in your communuty. Make sure that it includes their role and contact information."

What I got from this, is that I need to write my finanical situation (in less than 500 words). After writing my circumstances, I would require a referral from my 'teacher, supervisor or other person of authority'. In this referral, what would I get them to write?

Am I right in writing down my finanical situation, or are they meant to explain that in the referral? Or both?

So, what exactly would they need to write in the referral?

Thanks in advance,

Zach

Accepted Reply

The referral letter should validate your need for financial assistance.

Replies

The referral letter should validate your need for financial assistance.

myke, should the teacher or supervisor say why they think we should be chosen as a scholar or validate our need for financial assistance? Take a look at what your colleague wrote here. He mentioned the former is a good way to go about this. Could you please shed some light on this for me?

Hi Myke,

I understood that the letter of reccommendation was supposed to be a reference letter. To me, that meant a teacher/principal writing a letter about my contribution to the community. One could not expect a teacher to know about my personal financial circumstances.

I had a teacher write a letter with similar contents to what eytan mentioned, so there's nothing mentioned about my financial situation. Does this mean I should ask my teacher to add that to her letter?

The referral letter can be written by anyone in a professional role who can validate your request for travel assistance. This can include a counselor, organization leader, or coach, etc. If your teacher can't speak to your general financial circumstance then someone else in a professional role may be more appropriate.

@Cesare D., yes having them speak to your efforts in the community and why you would be a good choice couldn't hurt as well.

@macuser1984, yes, you should have them add something to validate your need for financial assistance.