tvos cache durations

How long is the default on-disk cache duration on tvOS?

Thank you.

George

Replies

It's a little difficult to answer this because there is no single on-disk cache for tvOS. There's also no defined cache duration for data. As in, tvOS doesn't say, "this cached data is old, get rid of it." Data gets cached and removed at various times by different apps and daemons. Data might be re-fetched for specific apps if the OS decides to clear the cache data to make room.

Is there data you are specifically trying to cache (or not cache)? Or something specific you are trying to do?

Dear Agart1

It seems that you have access to some background technical information of how cache works on TVOS.

I have crawled to find any details or real life experiences of how it actualy works.

I have a few clearifying questions to how this cache works, in order to evaluate if we can use the Apple TV for our purpose.

1. Is the cache cleared at any interval ( e.g. 30 days ) it would help us knowing how long we need to test our application to see how it reacts to cache clearing.

2. Is there a maximum of cache on a 64 GB / 32 GB AppleTV ? ( e.g. 10 GB / 40 GB / 80% of memory ?

3. Is the cache-data cleared in regards to when it was last used / when it was initally downloaded ? ( First in / first out ) or is the full cache cleared ?

Answering these questions will give a lot of developpers a better understanding of how the cache actually works in real life, and even better. If there could be made a technincal note on this, I am sure it would help a lot. So many people asks bout this cache... We have to respect that data can be cleared at any time, but explaining about the circumstaces would help a lot.

If such a note is not possible, is it possible that you could have one of the developers of the TVOS cache to contact me ?

Best regards

Carsten