Pause/scrubbing issue with AVPlayerViewController in tvOS?

I am working on a tvOS app with a video player and we're experiencing inconsist behavior with the tvOS remote's touchpad scrubbing functionality. I have noticed the same issue on several high profile news streaming apps on the AppStore and believe it may be a bug, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has encountered this issue. For the record, this behavior occurs both in the simulator and in hardware.

To reproduce:

During video playback, without pausing, background the app using the "Home" button on the remote. Then reopen the app. The video player resumes playing, and as usual, you can still pause the video with both the Play/Pause button and a single tap on the touchpad. However, you can now only scrub when pausing with the Play/Pause button and not when pausing with the touchpad. If the video metadata/details tab bar is enabled, pulling the tab bar down and dismissing it will restore the touch pad pause's scrubbing functionality.

Given that we are using AVPlayerViewController "out of the box" so to speak, this behavior seems odd. Is this a bug? Or is there some best practice about using NSNotifications when backgrounding/foregrounding the app that I am unaware of?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Replies

Just discovered this on my production app, and verified on a few other apps in the app store that this is the case. Thanks for the tip about still being able to scrub with the play/pause button.

I do believe this is a bug in the AVPlayerViewController. I plan to file a bug report on it.

Any word back on this? I've noticed this in my app as well.