ERROR: OpenSSL v3 read server session ticket

A small number of our attempts to use APNS are returning this error. Is anyone else seeing this?

OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError: SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server session ticket A

Accepted Reply

Hello,

Could everyone who's seeing this please file a bug report right away at https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting so the APNs server team can investigate?

They do not see anything amiss on our end, and this appears to be affecting a subset of developers.

Please include this information in the bug report:

1. Your app's bundle ID

2. Your push server's IP address(es)

3. The date, time, and timezone when connections to APNs failed

4. Complete error messages from your push server

5. Please run the s_client test at Problems Connecting to the Push Service and include those results in the bug report.

Best regards,

--gc

Replies

Hey Codi. Yes, we've been seeing this today. Any ideas?

We're seeing this today too.

We are seeing this too. Thinking of updating certs if this persists.

dkanygin, how might updating certs help?

Still facing this (intermittent) issue, started yesterday as well. Looking for a solution!

I am having the same issue over here- Any updates so far?

We are experiencing the same issue, approximately 1% of our APN requests fail.

Normally our client will use openssl v23, i.e. negotiate most recent version supported by both client and server. Hardcoding tls v1.2 causes an SSL version error when attempting to connect to Apple servers (despite them claiming to support tlsv1.2...?), while hardcoding tls v1 works generally, but results in the same intermittent failures as doing the v23 negotiation.

Seems like a misbehaving server on Apple's end.

I have suffered the same problem in these recent days. I have changed the protocol to TLSv1. However, there is no luck for me. Anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Tried exactly the same things- left it hardcoded with TLSv1 for now- but also still seeing failures.

Still happening for us (also intermittent) both for sandbox and prod.

Also seeing this happening to us.

I started seeing this issue on April 8th as well. Is this something on Apple's end? I haven't changed any configuration or certificates in a few months and none are expired.

I've been seeing this error in about 50% of all attempts since Sunday

Error rates for my application are at 30% since April 8th according to my logs.

I sent Apple a TSI regarding this issue, hopefully they will reply with some useful info...

Hi. Same thing happening to us since April 8th. We did saw a bigger error rate yesterday (almost 50%), and around 37% since April 8th.

No change on our apps or backend push service.