MailCompositionService quit unexpectedly

I'm having an issue with mail and iOS 9. I have a button in my app that creates a MFMailCompositionViewController used for submitting feedback via email. This works fine in iOS 8. However, in the iOS 9 simulator, whenever I push this button, a window outside of the simulator pops up saying "MailCompositionService quit unexpectedly."

Meanwhile, the Xcode console shows the following output:

viewServiceDidTerminateWithError: Error Domain=_UIViewServiceInterfaceErrorDomain Code=3 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (_UIViewServiceInterfaceErrorDomain error 3.)" UserInfo=0x7fa3aaff02b0 {Message=Service Connection Interrupted}

However, the app hasn't actually crashed. It continues to work fine. The app only crashes if I try to share something via email using UIActivityItemProvider. And when this crash happens, there's no log output other than "(lldb)". Is this just an issue with the simulator? I haven't tried running the app on an actual device with iOS 9.

Replies

Hi Neil,

Did you manage to figure that out? I am testing my app on iOS 9.0 and I am getting the same error.

Thanks

Yes, it is just the simulator. The iOS 8.0 - 8.2 simulators had the same problem. It works in the iOS 8.3 and 8.4 simulators, although it takes a couple seconds to "load" your information after the mail composer appears.

I get an identical behaviour to neil95 on the IOS 9.0 simulator in xcode beta4 + now beta5. Before I spend a lot of time on this, does anyone know if this has been raised yet ? I havn't started testing an any devices yet.

Yes, I filed bug # 21946781 on July 22. It was closed as a duplicate of bug # 21152649, which is still shown as open.

I'm having the same issue in Xcode 7 beta 5, iOS 9 simulator.

Code worked fine in Xcode 6.4, ios 8.4 simulator.

i am experiencing the same issue. It does not seem to be fixed in xcode 7 beta 6.

i had the same issues when running it in ios 9 simulator.

I downloaded ios 9 beta and loaded it into my ipad, ran the same code and there is no error. It seems like the error is only happening in the simulator.

I am happy so far.

I am experiencing the same issue too. I know this only happens in the Simulator but, when I submitted my app for review to post in the App Store, the reviewer rejected my app because, when they tried to run it in the Simulator it crashed. This really needs to be fixed by Apple

Same issue here with Xcode 7.0 (7A218) and Simulator 9.0 (SimulatorApp-620 CoreSimulator-179) on OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Was there a response for this yet?

This issue just cam up for me.

Bug report # 21152649 is still shown as open (mine was closed as a dup of that one), so I guess that means they are aware of it but it isn't fixed yet. There's no way to get details from Apple on bugs that aren't your own. The only way to get more detailed info is If the person who created that bug would were to see this thread and post any feedback they got from Apple. But since it is so easily reproducible, Apple may not have given any feedback.

Remember, it works fine on a device though.