USB not recognizing after install

Has anyone else had issues of USB devices not recognizing after the installation of El Capitan? If so, have you found a fix for the situation?

My issues have been specific to a Neat desktop scanner and a Fitbit sync dongle. Both have been uninstalled and reinstalled but do not recognize in the updated OS.

Replies

Its effecting me too. Did a backup, installed 10.11 and not can not access my backup drive.

Exact issue with Fitbit dongle. I cannot get the device to recognize either.

Same problem for me

Not sure if it is related but, VM machines (Parallels & VMware both) are no longer able to connect to some (perhaps all) USB devices after testing El Capitan.

I have a Kimosetter Platemaker for making printing plates. The computer shows the printer hooked up in system properties, but the RIP Program activates OK via the USB doggle, the the program does not see the USB printer (platemaker).

from the 'Release Notes'…

"

USB

Known Issues

• USB storage devices, including internal SD card readers, may become unavailable after system sleep and require either re-plug or restart to recover.
  • USB input devices may become non-functional on some Macs after several days.
  • USB 1.0, 1.1 and older 2.0 devices may not function.

"

Looks like that is the culprit. Going to have to ponder how to handle this one.

Having the same issue. I have a 2009 MBP 17 inch. I have a wireless mouse dongle, usb backup drive and iphone data cable connected (3 USB Ports)

When I'm booting, the iPhone shows the charging symbol beside the battery icon after hearing the boot sound, after that the charging symbol disappears. It happens only with that USB port. So it's not damaged. I'm thinking that El Capitan's developers were thinking that it will run minimally on a newer Macbook Pro with 2 USB ports.

>Going to have to ponder how to handle this one.

Might want to ponder that things will change as the betas move towards a full release version, but in the mean time, be sure to file bugs against the pre-release.

>I'm thinking that El Capitan's developers were thinking that it will run minimally on a newer Macbook Pro with 2 USB ports.

USB 3 and Lightning, maybe.

Can anyone post if this has been corrected in Beta 3, not lisited in the release notes anymore. I was having the same issue with Parallels

Morning everyone - first post but wanted to throw it out here.

USB dongle support is working on 10.11 (15A215h) - in VMware Fusion (Macbook Pro Air Mid-2012, 8GB Ram, 500GB SSD). The dongle is recognized by the host OS, but not able to be accessed by applications. However, the dongle is able to be accessed and communicated with inside VMware Fusion 7.1.2 (2779224). I recently upgraded to El Capitan and had issues with my Fitbit Base Station. It works flawlessly inside Windows 10 Tech Preview via Fusion.

Perhaps they are on their way to fixing it - albeit possibly a backwards approach. My VMs are considerably more sluggish after the upgrade to 10.11.

Hope this helps...

Having the same issue, unable to use my printer. Anybody got any news?

I hope they are not stopping backward compatibility with the USB ports.

Windows 7 under Virtual Box 5.0 hosted on El Capitan DB 4 can't recoginze usb devices 1.1 2.0 3.0.