Does geektool work for anyone?

I use geektool all the time to check on various information, but once I loaded the beta for El Capitan, I can no longer see the geeklets when I choose Geektool Preferences - the desktop simply goes white. I thought that may perhaps just be on my rMBP, and wanted to see if this has affected anyone else. If you have suffered this behavior, do you have any troubleshooting suggestions, other than emailing the developer?

Replies

Same here.

Actually it does kind of work. I just have added another command line script to the desktop background to show me the cpu temperature. That was kind of hard as it behaved weirdly, but with like starting it some more times and fiddling around, I managed to.

So yes, largely broken, but can somehow be made work.

Aloha emax,

I discovered a workaround. Call up the preferences window, then deselect the Enabled checkbox. Your normal background should be visible. Select the Enabled checkbox and the white overlay still appears, but this time, the geeklets are on top of it. You can individually select and modify any of the geeklets, as well as add new geeklets. The one main issue is that you can not see your desktop background, so the colors chosen for new geeklets may or may not work. Not great, but a workable solution for now. The developer is aware of the issue and is working on a permanent solution for us.

This does not work for me, as soon as I hit the enabled box again the white screen appears over the background and the geeklets. By guessing their position and clicking on screen they can be outlined for editing, but its a bit of a pain. I had to delete then reinstall the time geeklet before it would start working again.