iOS 9 simulator black screen

I tried to run an existing app in the iOS 9 simulator but all I get is a black screen with a white apple logo and a progress bar. It looks like the simulator is downloading a new version of iOS? It's been sitting there for 15 minutes without moving. What's going on?

Replies

I flailed around trying to fix this same problem. Here's what eventually worked, and some steps are almost certainly pointless:

1. Reinstall the Xcode beta
  2. `rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData`
  3. Open Xcode and delete all the simulators using the Window > Devices window
  4. Take a backup of `~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/device_set.plist` and then remove the `com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimRuntime.iOS-9-0` key. Xcode doesn't seem to put this back so I don't know what else this might break.
  5. Reinstall simulators within Xcode using the + in the lower-left of Window > Devices.

Out of curiosity, do you have the simulator showing an external display from under Hardware > External Displays?

I eventually found that the simulator will hang on the black screen / white Apple logo when it gets started with an external display window active. My workaround in Beta 2 is to close the display window, re-run the project, then turn the display window. You may get a Springboard crash (and log) when you close the external display window, but the sim will carry on.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of rgm Down vote reply of rgm

I had this issue and following steps 1,2,3 and 5 were sufficient to get the simulators working again.

Thank you

I tried this minus step 4 and it didn't work for me. =(

For me the problem turned out that the main view controlelr got never loaded (which I confirmed through breakpoints).

What fixed the problem for me is to recreate the storyboard:

(1) add new story board to your project

(2) copy & paste the contents of the old story board to the new one (just click on the white area, hit command-a and copy)

(3) paste in the new (empty) story board

(4) set the entry point in the new story board (you will get a runtime error if this is not done)

(5) update your plist to use the new story board

(6) delte the old story board

(7) be happy

Almost happy :-)

Unfortunately, by coping the storyboard, new IDs are being generated, so taking over the localization is a pain.

Hope there is an easier solution ...