bluetooth low energy

I own a small company that designs game controllers. We would like to design a bluetooth low energy game controller for iOS, but cannot find anything that says if we need MFi certification. For example, on your website it says:

Question: What types of accessories and technologies are not part of the MFi Program?

Answer: Accessories that use only Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE).

However, the same website it says:

Question: What types of accessories and technologies are part of the MFi Program?

Answer: MFi Game Controller technology.

So the question is simple: do I need to join the MFi program if I want to make a bluetooth low energy game controller that is compatible with iOS?

It should be noted that we wrote some bluetooth low energy code for a keyboard that worked with iOS, and we attempted for several days to write bluetooth low energy for a game controller without success. The weird thing is that our BLE gamepad will pair and connect to the ipad mini we are testing it on, it wil also send data, but it won't send any data to the actual game. This is why we are wondering if we need MFi certification.

Replies

iOS Bluetooth support is divided into four categories:

• standard devices -- These are automatically supported by the system. The specific protocols are described in the following support document:

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647>>

• Bluetooth LE -- These are accessible via the Core Bluetooth framework

• iOS-to-iOS Bluetooth networking

• MFi -- Other devices must go through the MFi program