Apple Music downloads and third party apps

Will downloaded content from Apple Music be stored on the device in the iPod library and playable by third party apps? Or will Apple Music downloads be stored in a separate location and only accessible by the builtin Music app? It would be great if any downloaded content was stored in the iPod library along side other media and accessible to third party music apps. As long as the Apple Music content could not be exported from the device, this seems plausible. Ideally Apple makes available a full API for interacting with the Apple Music service.

Replies

I second that.

There's no developer information on the Music service at all.

It's not known whether there will even be any framework for Music, never mind any documentation.

As it is launching in 18 days time, some information (or even documentation) is needed.

Thanks

So I just signed up for the free trial to test things out. Unfortunately, with my own app as well as some other third party music apps, it does not appear music downloaded to the local device can be played from anything other than from Apple's own Music app. Bummer. If anyone finds anything different please post.

It looks like "downloaded for offline use" generates DRM files. So no third party apps can play it.

3rd Party Music Apps can play Apple Music Downloaded Tracks or even the ones 'Added to My Music', as long as they rely on MediaPlayer Framework's MPMusicPlayerController APIs.

Access to those Tracks is Easy, Just use the MPMediaQuery and allow iCloud Items(Default is ON), if the tracks are Downloaded those aren't counted as iCloud Music.

But the MPMusicPlayerController APIs do not permit audio processing, correct? Meaning any apps that modify sounds in some way can't support Apple Music.

It's unfortunate that MPMusicPlayerController is still the only way through which to play DRM files (especially now that DRM is back in style with Apple Music). If they would only support it at lower levels such as the AVPlayer and AVQueuePlayer, then I'm sure more 3rd party devs would support it. I'd love to be able to support it in my app, but MPMusicPlayerController just doesn't provide enough flexibility.