Fetch timing of apple-app-site-association files

We are developing the iOS application which supports Universal Links and testing now.

In the future, we will gradually update apple-app-site-association file to add paths.

Does iOS fetch the apple-app-site-association files when the app is updated (not first install)?

[Our investigation using Testflight]

Version:

iOS 9+

Procedure:

1. Upload the apple-app-site-association file to our server, and upload our iOS application (v1) to Testflight server(not AppStore).

2. Download the iOS application(v1) from the Testflight server.

->iOS fetched apple-app-site-association file and Universal Links worked successfully.

3. Upload the “new” apple-app-site-association file added paths to our server. and upload the our iOS application(v2) to TestFlight server.

4. Update the iOS application(v2) from the Testflight server.

-> iOS did not fetch apple-app-site-association file and Universal Links did not work for new added paths.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of dinghing Down vote post of dinghing
12k views

Replies

I've exact the same question.

Our app can handle multiple paths of our website, but we first want to test things with a very specific path. So this paht will be added to the association file.

Over time we'll add more paths to the file. But when will the file be fetched again?

Edit:

I found this thread where is said that de file is fetched on every install/update: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/6972

Based on our testing, the file does not seem to be updated on every app install, at least from TestFlight. I know this because I made changes to the association file, installed a testflight update, and the changes were not working. I then completely deleted the app, reinstalled from testflight, and it worked as intended.

Not sure yet whether or not the same is true for a real update from the app store. Does anyone know for sure?

I run app in debug environment, the file don't downloaded. After my test, it delayed two hours to download.***????

Any more news about this topic? In-App-Linking doesn't work with our app at all, the file is just never being updated and the "Open in App" bar therefore not shown, wrote Apple support twice and all they do is send generic documentation links. Great thing to have to tell our clients that Apple developer support basically doesn't exist, but hey, who would expect support for something that's free. Oh wait..

• You can use [your domain]?mode=developer. And then open Setting - Developer, open Associated Domains Development Switch. This will make our app request the file every launch.

• @libraio can you please elaborate a little more. In this text "[your domain]?mode=developer" which domain you are referring to?

• @HafizSameed see this article https://mac6classi.medium.com/universal-links-issue-on-ios-14-fd0aa8ae75f8

Add a Comment