Lyme Disease

I don't really see a space where Lyme Disease would fit in the Research Kit forum. Late stage Lyme would fit under neurodegenerative diseases, but earlier stages of infection are not necessarily neurological. Could we add spaces for infectious and/or chronic diseases? Lyme and other chronic illnesses badly need research because they are so incredibly poorly understood.

We desperately need more research data on tick-borne infections. Lyme is now the fastest growing vector-borne infectious disease in the US, with more than 300,000 new cases per year according to the CDC. It now affects 6x more people than ***/AIDS and causes lifetime health problems for about 20% of those infected and yet it still gets less than 1% of the funding.

As an application developer and amateur researcher now suffering for years from this terrible illness, I badly want to see a Research Kit application written to collect data on Lyme, but I'm not sure how to get started. Is anyone working on this problem yet?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Replies

Hi Jonathan,

The General section is the best place right now to discuss Lyme Disease.

Have you contacted the Lyme Disease Research Foundation? Their website is lymemd dot org. They agree that more research is needed. Perhaps you can help them. Many researchers have great ideas but need a developer to create a great ResearchKit app.

Bunny

Hi Bunny - any word on when Apple will get a handle on all the forum spam?