"No Selection" in Debugging Normal?

Is this a setting, or just normal, or a bug in my install?

As I step through routines, the Xcode window (editor, debugger, whatever) shows "No Selection" when clearly by the nature of stepping through code, the view and focus IS in a routine. Pretty much the definition of "being in a routine"...

https://www.evernote.com/l/ACBflWWVuRtD4rsYh0VhbfIohs4X6uICHEwB/image.png

yet if I actually click the mouse, the "No Selection" changes to the name of the routine I am looking at.

https://www.evernote.com/l/ACAFLwT4-CFKdYsk7RVdMFZTLZxJJKmqRCcB/image.png

Is this just a disconnect (bug) between the "editor" and the "debugger" which happen to use the same file view or is it my system?

In my mind, the debugger's execution point is probably the single most important place to track against that routine name at the top. If I am editing, I have a pretty good idea what routine I am editing in and that note at the top is a "oh yea" reminder. But when I am walking through code, stopping at varous break points, it is anybody's guess where the display is in the code (delegates, blocks, and other random entry points). It means that when I hit a break point I pretty much have to click in the code to get that routine indicator to change from "No Selection" to showing me where I am. Thinking that this bug might be some sort of problem with my install maybe? I can't be the first one to have noticed this disconnect?

Replies

That part of the jump bar display is based on the insertion point. When you stop in a breakpoint and step around in the debugger, the insertion point doesn’t change, so you end up with No Selection.

OTOH, you can see the current routine in the debugger bar at the bottom of the display, right next to the step controls.

Finally, even though this is expected behaviour that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s correct. If you have specific suggestions for how you think this should behave, feel free to put them in a bug report. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"