.sks file crashes XCode every time

Whenever I try to open a .sks file in my SpriteKit project XCode crashes. The problem first occured when I accidentally copied a .sks file with the same name as an already existing one. After removing the copy however the issue won't go away.

Replies

I'm having the same reoccuring issue as well. Will look out for a solution

Opening .sks files have lead to a bunch of slowdowns and some timeouts for me as well. In a few cases it has hung up and then when I try to reopen the project, it won't do anything, because it's automatically unresponsive. In these cases I've had to actually manually remove the .sks in question and add it back later.

Hello Jonatan.

I think its related to spritekit sceneeditor.

Having .sks file open and leaving computer makes xcode crash without interaction.

file a radar and submit crash logs.

good luck.

-indiedeveloper

Hi jonatan,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We would greatly appreciate if you filed a bug report, attaching any relevant files, and post the bug ID here. In the meantime, some additional information would be helpful:

• Does the .sks file have any content inside? If so, please attach the file to the bug report.
  • Does this issue reproduce for an empty sks file?
  • Are you using asset catalogs?
  • What version of Xcode & OS X are you using?

Once I'm able to reproduce the crash you're seeing, we will pursue a fix.

Thank you.

I posted a similar question in the Xcode forum.

It doesn't matter if I start an empty project or open a project with pre-existing content, I get the same issue.

I am running Xcode 7.2 (El Capitan 10.11.3) on the MacBook (12"), and using Swift.

Hi,

I had a similar problem. In my case, I found out that I was mistakenly not copying the sks files to the local project folder.

After removing them and copying to the local folder, everything was working again.

Hope this helps

What's the solution to this error?

Did you get any help sir.

Regards,

Waqas Habib

Hi Jonatan,

I know this is an old topic but I just encountered the same issue with Xcode 8.

For my part, It seems to be a texture files dependency problem, or kind of.

How to fix your .sks file :

- Open your .sks file outside the project (close your project and open the file directly from Finder)

- You should see red crosses instead of the Sprites, delete the Texture name information for all of them.

- Now, you should be able to reopen the file from the project.

- Finally, reenter the Texture name for all your Sprites.

Hope this will help !

I have filed an issue (29613284), and found out that it appears to be some incompatiblity with OS X 10.11. I tried opening the exact same file on with exact same version of Xcode, but made the macOS version the only variable. On macOS 10.12.4 Beta the file opens just fine.

Just wanted to say that this solved the problem for me, using Xcode 8.3 beta 4.

I solved the crashing problem.

The problem is with your @2x and @3x images. With those present in your Assets.xcassets folder - the SKS node will crash XCODE.

1. Add ONLY the 1x image to your Assets.xcassets folder.

2. place a Color Node onto your SKS scene.

3. select a texture

4. resize the texture.

5. add your @2x and @3x files later.

This solution works 100% each and every time.

DBAX

Darrick Baxter

Ogoki Learning Inc.

App Developer from Winnipeg, Canada