New USB Stack in El Capitan

While the new USB stack is mostly self-explanatory, there are a few questions regarding its usage. The most recent mention of USB in the developer library is from 2013 and has no reference to the new USB stack. I've looked at opensource.apple.com and there have been absolutely no new IOUSBFamily source drops since Mountain Lion. Furthermore, the AppleUSBCDCDriver is again missing (just like in Yosemite) after a significant revamp. And to make things even easier for us, the new AppleUSBNetworking has absolutely no documentation provided.

Most modem manufacturers are recompiling old/outdated drivers from Apple on the new OSs althougha simple codeless Kext would do the job better using the already supported Apple drivers. Due to different tariff models, in Europe 3G sticks are a lot more popular than personal hotspots.

From what I could discover we have the following used dialects for control wwand:

• CellPhoneCDMA
  • CellPhoneGSM
  • NovatelCDMA
  • NovatelGSM
  • OptionGSM
  • SierraCDMA
  • SierraGSM
  • AppleMBIM (is it supposed to use a IOSerial driver?)

And the following Interface Drivers:

• AppleUSBCDC
  • AppleUSBCDCControl
  • AppleUSBACM[Control | Data]
  • AppleUSBDMMData
  • AppleUSBECM[Control | Data]
  • AppleUSBEEMData
  • AppleUSBNCM[Control | Data] (Is it MBIM/RNDIS or both?)
  • AppleUSBWCMControl
  • AppleWWANSupport (USB Device Serial)
  • AppleWWANSupport1 (USB Interface Serial, somehow in an unknown way different from AppleUSBCDCACMData)
  • AppleWWANSupport2

Please Apple, document the AppleUSBCDCDriver, AppleUSBNetworking, IOUSBHostFamily, AppleWWANSupport, AppleWWANAutoEject, the wwand property lists AND interfacedriver selection and relationship.

I don't know if I can pair a NCMData with an ACMControl, or use the NCM driver as MBIM or even as RNDIS? How do I specify the control/data interfaces for wwand in case of a NCM device. For a NMEA interface are there any consumers (such as Apple Maps or the Location Services)? Can you also route voice calls to the Mac if you specify the correct USB Audio device? For the AppleWWANAutoEject what are the TYPE options?

Which of these options are supported on which OS release? I've seen wwand claiming AppleMBIM from Snow Leopard but only in El Capitan we've had the USBNCM classes. You've done 95% of the work for supporting these devices (that the carrier pushes down our throats), help us do the rest of the 5%.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of razvan.vilt Down vote post of razvan.vilt
2.9k views

Replies

Any news?

Now we have October 2017 and so far I know/searched there is zero information from apple,

at least no information that there is no information for security or other reasons.

Apple gives a **** on us, sorry to notice😟