The definitive guide to getting an ERN for the App Store

If your application uses encryption in any way, even SSL or HTTPS, you need an Encryption Registration (ERN) from the US Bureau of Industry (BIS). I recently got one for an app that I got in the Mac App Store and I documented my whole journey to share it and be a guide for other people needing to do the same. It's actually not very hard, as long as you know the steps to take (twice I needed to call US agencies to figure out the next step). Here it is: How to legally submit an app to Apple’s App Store when it uses encryption (or how to obtain an ERN).

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions, I'll try to answer them and/or update the guide to the best of my knowledge. Oh... and disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Replies

Hi,

Thank you for the interesting article!

(Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language)

In my app I use https link in webview.

Have you already sent the annual report to the BIS? If yes, could you tell me, what you put into ITEM TYPE field in the report (I choose "Link encryption" but I'm not sure that is right).

Also please tell me, do you send semi-annual reports or only annual reports?

>If your application uses encryption in any way, even SSL or HTTPS you need an ERN....

I believe that if you are just using HTTPS or just using SSL for decryption and authentication then you get to say that you qualify for an exemption and don't need an ERN.