Activity Indicator missing since tvOS 9.1 update

I start a remote video file with the help of AVPlayerViewController like this

NSString *videoStream = @"https://archive.org/download/night_of_the_living_dead/night_of_the_living_dead_512kb.mp4";

NSURL *videoURL = [NSURL URLWithString:videoStream];
AVPlayer *player = [AVPlayer playerWithURL:videoURL];

AVPlayerViewController *playerViewController = [AVPlayerViewController new];
playerViewController.player = player;

[self presentViewController:playerViewController animated:YES completion:^{
  [player play];
}];

This works well but can take time to load and start the video playback.

With tvOS 9.0.1 an activity indicator was displayed on a black screen to show to the user that something is going on. Since the tvOS update to 9.1 the activity indicator is missing and there is just a black screen with no additional UI. Now it look like the app is freezed. It looks like nothing happens at all. The video loads well after a while but during the initial loading there is no activity indicator at all.

Could this be a bug or do I miss something with my code?

Replies

This is like 2 years old, but I'd say it's a bug. I've came across this post since I had the exact same issue while testing an app on both TVOS 11.2 and 11.2.5. But I can confirm this issue is gone in TVOS 11.3

I believe it has to do with a mixture of the activity indicator and the current theme of the AppleTV. It always renders as black, even during a "dark" theme, where you would expect it to be white. If you had your activity indicator inside an effect blur view with vibrancy enabled like I had, on a dark theme, the vibrancy effect would make it dissapear against tha brackground.

Again, it's kinda late, but it took me a while figuring out what was going out and I'd like to give an answer to this question, in case somebody else is facing the same issue.