how to scan wifi list from app like WiFi manager in android.

For my app i would like to browse the list of available wifi within the app and select the wifi without exiting from the app. Is there any possibility like WiFi manager in android.

Replies

Developers are not given access to that API on iOS. Developers are not allowed to interfere with WiFi configuration on iOS.

Developers are not allowed to interfere with WiFi configuration on iOS.

That’s generally true, but there are exceptions for certain special cases (like Wireless Accessory Configuration, hotspot navigation, and so on).

nishanth9493, what’s your high-level goal?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi eskimo,

We are developing a IP Camera on boarding App on iPhone. As part of this process, the Camera exposes a Wifi AP and we want to show this Wifi in list of available Wifi's for user to select without actually switching to Setting's from our app to choose the WiFi and then automatically connect the Phone to this AP to configure the Camera settings. Once the Camera settings are configured we want the phone to automatically connect to Home Wifi without switching to Setting's from app.

You can mail me on "nishanthkumar.ns" + "@" + "gmail.com"

We are developing a IP Camera on boarding App on iPhone.

Is the ultimate goal to get the camera on to the home Wi-Fi network? Or is this camera meant to be mobile and provide it’s AP wherever it goes?

In the former case WAC is definitely the way to go. In the second case, there is currently not much you can do to improve the user experience.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"

hi eskimo,

My ultimate goal to get the camera on to the home Wi-Fi network.

for this we want to connect to camera wifi . i tried to find the usage of WAC. But not found much

if possible can you please provide some example or link which can guide us

To learn more about WAC, watch:

WAC is part of the MFi programme, so that’ll be your starting point.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"

Hi eskimo,

You wrote a special case "hotspot navigation", I need to scan wi-fi nearby in order to match between 2 users at the same location (Location by Wi-Fi instead of GPS inside buildings), so if 2 users at the range of some hotspot it means they are very close to each other.

Is this case includes as a special case and Apple may approve my request to add NEHotspotHelper entitlement?

Thanks.

I know this is a dead thread but if anyone else finds they need a similar functionality...

EdiZeit, a workaround solution MAY be to use NSNetServiceBrowser/NSNetService to scan for a matching service that you define on the other device. If they are in WIFI/Bluetooth range they can find each other even if they are not on the same Wifi Network. If you need an example I would say search out the WiTap sample code on the developer archive.