Is Swift incapable of specializing nested generic types and functions?

EDIT: I removed the original question and replaced it with the following smaller and clearer formulation. Also I should probably have mentioned SIMD, vectorization and closure parameters in the tile ... Anyway:

//==============================================================================
// This little program is a question about the Swift optimizer.
//
// It has a test that measures the time it takes to compute the sum of a million
// random values of a given Testable type.
//
// The program performs the test for SIMD float4x4 and a custom 4x4 matrix type.
//
// The custom 4x4 float matrix type is built up from a generic V4<T> type, like
// this: V4<V4<Float>>.
//
// NOTE: The body of V4<T>'s + operator func contains two lines. Use either one
//       of them by commenting out the other.
//
//       Using one of them will let the optimizer generate code that makes the
//       custom 4x4 matrix almost as fast as SIMD float4x4, while using the
//       other will be a couple of 100 times slower.
//
//       It would be so great if the optimizer could handle both equally well.
//       Perhaps what I'm asking is whether the slow + operator version could
//       be vectorized just like the fast version seems to be currently.
//
// Can a future Swift-version make that happen or is it impossible, if so why?
//==============================================================================
import Cocoa
import simd
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Testable requirements and defaults:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
protocol Testable {
    init()
    static func random() -> Self
    func +(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Self
}
extension Testable {
    static func random(count: Int) -> [Self] { return (0 ..< count).map { _ in Self.random() } }
}
extension Float    : Testable { static func random() -> Float    { return unsafeBitCast(UInt32(127 << 23) | (arc4random() & 0x7fffff), Float.self) - 1.0 } }
extension float4   : Testable { static func random() -> float4   { return float4(Float.random(4)) } }
extension float4x4 : Testable { static func random() -> float4x4 { return float4x4(float4.random(4)) } }
// A generic Testable type with a "static storage" of four elements.
// Note that V4<V4<Float>> makes a (Testable) 4x4 float matrix type.
struct V4<T: Testable> : Testable {
    var elements: (T, T, T, T)
    init(_ e0: T, _ e1: T, _ e2: T, _ e3: T) { elements = (e0, e1, e2, e3) }
    init() { self.init(T(), T(), T(), T()) }
    static func random() -> V4 { return .init(T.random(), T.random(), T.random(), T.random()) }
    func mapWith(other: V4, transform: (T, T) -> T) -> V4 {
        return .init(
            transform(elements.0, other.elements.0),
            transform(elements.1, other.elements.1),
            transform(elements.2, other.elements.2),
            transform(elements.3, other.elements.3)
        )
    }
    func addedTo(other: V4) -> V4 {
        return .init(
            elements.0 + other.elements.0,
            elements.1 + other.elements.1,
            elements.2 + other.elements.2,
            elements.3 + other.elements.3
        )
    }
}
// The + operator for V4<T> (which includes both V4<V4<Float>> and V4<Float>)
func +<T: Testable>(lhs: V4<T>, rhs: V4<T>) -> V4<T> {
    // return lhs.mapWith(rhs, transform: +) // <--- Slow
    return lhs.addedTo(rhs) // <--- Fast (almost as fast as SIMD float4x4, so I presume the optimizer is able to vectorize this version.)
}
// The test
func test<T: Testable>(_: T.Type) {
    let a = T.random(1_000_000)
    var times = [Double]()
    var sum = T()
    print("\(T.self):")
    for _ in 0 ..< 10 {
        let t0 = CACurrentMediaTime()
        for i in a.indices { sum = sum + a[i] }
        let t1 = CACurrentMediaTime()
        times.append(t1 - t0)
    }
    print(String(format: "  median time: %.6f s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: %lld)",
        times.sort()[times.count / 2],
        "\(sum)".hashValue))
}
test(float4x4)
test(V4<V4<Float>>)

This is what it prints when run on my machine with the fast version of the + operator:

float4x4:
  median time: 0.003526 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: 4799450059808157151)
V4<V4<Float>>:
  median time: 0.005425 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: 4799450061309272077)

and when using the slow version:

float4x4:
  median time: 0.003302 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: -4799450061362652137)
V4<V4<Float>>:
  median time: 1.279336 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: 4799450059394151605)

Replies

Hi Jens,

Could you try to run your original examples with the open-sourced version of the Swift compiler? Try to use the latest build or even better, build it from sources. Your original problem has have been most likely fixed by some recent commits earlier this week.

Thanks, that's great to hear! I'll try it as soon as I can find the time to upgrade to El Capitan etc.

I've now built Swift from sources. I followed the instructions in the readme of the main swift github repos, ie installed cmake and ninja, cloned the nine repositories listed in the readme, and then did a release build, like this:
swift/utils/build-script -R
Everything seems to work but for some reason the binaries produced by the swiftc I built is a lot slower than the ones produced by Xcode 7.2 beta 4 swiftc. I tried both the code above and my (now removed) original example, same result with both of them.

Here's compiling and running my above code example using the swiftc of Xcode 7.2 beta 4 (I've done "sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode-beta.app"):

$ swiftc -O -gnone main.swift
$ ./main
float4x4:
  median time: 0.003430 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: 4799450061159932557)
V4<V4<Float>>:
  median time: 0.005604 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: 4799450060823127149)

And using the swiftc I built from sources:

$ xcrun ~/apple/build/Ninja-ReleaseAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/bin/swiftc -O -gnone main.swift
$ ./main
float4x4:
  median time: 0.025172 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: -4799450059674287673)
V4<V4<Float>>:
  median time: 0.025912 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: -4799450060922623069)

Note that I'm using the above example code as is, and thus it's the "fast version" mentioned in the comments of the code. Perhaps interestingly, using the "slow version" (again, see comments of the code), the result when using the swiftc built from sources is the same as when using the "fast version":

$ xcrun ~/apple/build/Ninja-ReleaseAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/bin/swiftc -O -gnone main.swift
$ ./main
float4x4:
  median time: 0.025257 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: -4799450060878233658)
V4<V4<Float>>:
  median time: 0.025293 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: 4799450060181506915)

I suppose I'm doing something wrong / missing something. Any ideas?

EDIT1: I got a suggestion to build Swift with -R --no-assertions --no-swift-stdlib-assertions, so I'll try that.

EDIT2: Recompiled Swift with flags as above and the results are now as good as can be:

$ xcrun ~/apple/build/Ninja-Release/swift-macosx-x86_64/bin/swiftc -O -gnone main.swift
$ ./main
float4x4:
  median time: 0.003620 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: 4799450060406417360)
V4<V4<Float>>:
  median time: 0.003433 s   (deadcodeeliminationprevention: -4799450060772672329)

That's the "slow version", now evidently being fully optimized and vectorized, ie no diff in speed when comparing the most/highest abstracted version to the SIMD version!

Just two more questions:
Will this be equally well optimized when compiling for iOS? (I guess I could try that myself, but I'll ask here anyway.)
Is it possible to say anything about when we might expect these enhancements/fixes to be available in an Xcode GM?