AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer in tvOS

I wonder if anyone has any information why AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer is marked as "__TVOS_PROHIBITED"?

I don't want to write something ironic here, but the fact that video rendering on a TV-device is prohibited is kind of fun.

/Anders

Accepted Reply

tvOS version 10.2 is finally allowing the use of AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer in Apple TV devices.

Replies

Yes, very strange.

In https://developer.apple.com/library/tvos/documentation/AVFoundation/Reference/AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer_Class/index.html

It is marked 'New in TVOS' while in SDK it is prohibited. If you look at what else is prohibited there, recording, capturing, etc. That makes prefect sense but for playback, nah. I think someone got confused while changing the SDK 🙂

I can see ************ getting marked prohibited, but not AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer ( and yes, it does work just fine and is infact much less CPU usage than ************).

I believe your analysis. The only problem now would be to get hold of someone at Apple to modify the header file for the next realease and correct the mistake. Feels like the AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer - crowd is kind of tiny compared to the AVPlayer crowd. I can only find my post and another stack overflow bi%#ing about this.

I'll e-mail: support@apple.com 🙂

/Anders.

Hi,

I just ran into this problem today (29th May 2016) - so quite a while since your post.

It's still marked as __TVOS_PROHIBITED, did you get a response back from Apple or should I file a bug?

Hi,

Yes, file a bug, and if you know anyone going to WWDC it would be a good time to shed some light on the issue.

/A

Looks like it's still marked as unavailable in Xcode 8. I see they added AudioToolbox to tvOS but not Video Toolbox. Anyone at WWDC that could talk to an engineer?

FYI - in the Xcode 8.3 beta this is now marked as available!

tvOS version 10.2 is finally allowing the use of AVSampleBufferDisplayLayer in Apple TV devices.