App Dev Minor

All,

I am an ADE and university professor. I am proposing an App Dev Minor (open to all majors), and I just wanted to see if I could gather your feedback on the following:

1. Does the sequence make sense?

2. Based on the description, do you feel each course would be worth 3 credit hours?

3. Are there any aspects missing that should be integrated into this curriculum?

4. Do you have any other ideas on what to integrate?

Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------

Course 1- ISYS-120: Storyboarding Apps

Course 2- ISYS-130: App Dev Fundamentals

Course 3- ISYS-220: App Dev for iOS

Course 4- ISYS-230: Advanced App Dev for iOS

Course 5- ISYS-350: Final App Dev Project

The App Dev minor is designed to provide students with an introduction to app development regardless of their undergraduate major. Students will learn specific skills to integrate app development into their specific major (e.g. nursing majors can create home health app) and will finish the minor with a fully functioning app based on their initial concept. This also allows students to host their apps in iTunes as a potential business venture. Lastly, this minor has been developed in consultation with app developers and the education team at Apple and discussed with Communications and Art & Design faculty for potential interdisciplinary opportunities.

Program Goals

1. Prepare and produce a storyboard of the app interface.
  2. Recognize best practice app interface design principles using Interface Builder.
  3. Design user input fields and integrate the virtual keyboard.
  4. Analyze touch and multi-touch gestures.
  5. Develop and animate user interfaces.
  6. Determine interface changes associated with device orientation.
  7. Prepare app to pull data from a web service within the app.
  8. Produce a functioning app based on student use case.

Course Descriptions

ISYS-120: Storyboarding Apps (3) [Pre-req: None]

Storyboarding is a visual way of developing an application’s user interface prior to undergoing any development activities. This course serves as an introduction to the technique of storyboarding including organizing a project's content and arranging it in a visual format utilizing industry standard tools.

ISYS-130: App Dev fundamentals (3) [Pre-req: ISYS-120]

This course examines the fundamentals of mobile app design and development. Topics will include user interface design, user interface building, and input methods. Students will also become familiar with the end-to-end process to install, develop, test, and distribute mobile applications.

ISYS-220: App Dev for iOS (3) [Pre-req: ISYS-130]

Students will become familiar with Objective C and the new SWIFT development language. Students will compile and debug sample applications that illustrate iPhone/iPad features and focus on User Interface Implementation.

ISYS-230: Advanced App Dev for iOS (3) [Pre-req: ISYS-220]

Students will practice generating an interface and become more familiar with Objective C and SWIFT code, the graphical user interface builder, and overall XCode project integration. Students will also learn how to incorporate device specific features such as the accelerometer, touch screen, GEO positioning, sound, and web access.

ISYS-350: Final App Dev Project (3) [Pre-req: ISYS-230]

Students are expected to work on a project that produces a professional-quality mobile application. This course includes project conception, design, implementation, and pilot testing of mobile phone applications.

Replies

Looks pretty good, but I would replace the final segment (ISYS-350) with some kind of advanced debugging/troubleshooting/profiling course and leave the final project up to the student. I think it would be important to show students how to use stuff like Instruments and the LLDB debugger console to improve their apps.

Now about that final project, it would be far simpler from a legal standpoint for that to be done entirely on the student's time. Not every student will be interested in creating an app right away, and by moving that out of the degree requirement, you'll avoid legal issues or even lawsuits about who really owns the app. (I remember reading in the news about how a university student went through a program like this and created a wildly successful app, only to have the university try to assert their control over it, saying that they owned it because he created the app under their degree program.) The legal question is, "Does the student create the app or does the university create the app through the student?" By moving the app out of this program, you'll be able to keep from getting mired in legal issues like this.