Connect Apple TV with USB-C adaptor?

I have been unsuccuessful so far in finding a retailer that sells USB-C to USB-A cables in Vancouver, Canada (online shopping is an option but I want to buy a cable today!). I did buy an USB-C to USB-A adator from an Apple store. Anway, here goes; I have connected my Apple TV as follows:

Apple TV - USB-C adaptor - USB male to male cable - Apple laptop.

Xcode does not see the device & neither does the USB conneciton indicate anything in the system report.

Does this set-up work or do I do have a USB-C to USB-A cable?

Replies

Wrong cable. You need a USB-A male to USB-C male cable. USB-C to USB-A is an adapter not

the proper cable.

Just reread your post. It seems you have a Mac with USB-C port correct? In such a case, you're

likely to need a USB-C male to USB-C male cable to get reliable results. Those adapters are fine

for connecting external hard drives/thumb drives and some peripherals but the Apple TV is very

finicky about the cabling. Your Mac having USB-C only ports complicates things.

There have been a couple of reports of the adapter working, but far more where it doesn't. It may be that the USB A-A cable is the tricky bit in that situation - it has to be as dumb as possible 🙂 just a straight wire with no hardware to help with file transfers or anything.

>do I do have a USB-C to USB-A cable?

Yes. Don't waste time with/be misled by, adapters, changers, extensions, etc.

But whatever you get, be sure to keep the receipt 😉