Location updates on OS X

I'm new to OS X development, but I have some experience on iOS.

I want to get current location on OS X. I created super simple project, basicaly it's a blank project with core location code added. I use Swift language for development here.

Here is AppDelegate file:

import Cocoa
import CoreLocation
@NSApplicationMain
class AppDelegate: NSObject, NSApplicationDelegate, CLLocationManagerDelegate {
    func applicationDidFinishLaunching(aNotification: NSNotification) {

if CLLocationManager.authorizationStatus().rawValue == 1 || CLLocationManager.authorizationStatus().rawValue == 2 {
            return
        }
        print(CLLocationManager.authorizationStatus().rawValue)// log: 0

if CLLocationManager.locationServicesEnabled() {
            let locationManager = CLLocationManager()
            locationManager.delegate = self

locationManager.startUpdatingLocation()
            print("ok") //log: ok
        }

}

func locationManager(manager: CLLocationManager, didUpdateToLocation newLocation: CLLocation, fromLocation oldLocation: CLLocation) {

print("\(newLocation) \(oldLocation)")

}

func locationManager(manager: CLLocationManager, didUpdateLocations locations: [AnyObject]) {
        print(locations)
    }

func locationManager(manager: CLLocationManager, didChangeAuthorizationStatus status: CLAuthorizationStatus) {

print(status)

}

func locationManager(manager: CLLocationManager, didFailWithError error: NSError) {
        print(error)
    }
}

As you can see, all is pretty obvious here.

CLLocationManager.authorizationStatus is always returns me 0, (e.g. NotDetermined).

I'm expecting to see some iOS like promt to a user, but I don't see it. And I don't recive any location update. No one of this delegate methods are called. I don't understand where I made a mistake, I read Location and Maps Programming Guide and I think I made all steps like in the docs.

Hope somebody could help me with this.

Accepted Reply

I fixed my problem, but the "fix" is very doubtful.

In my code I changed

//To:
        locationManager = CLLocationManager()

//From here:
//            locationManager = CLLocationManager()
//            locationManager.delegate = self

print("ok")

}

And autorisation prompt started to show!

I tried code on MBP and iMac, both didn't show the prompt untill this change. After the changes all fine.

The strange thing is that if I return code back, like in the original post, all works fine now, prompt will be shown (tried on both Macs too).

I'm not sure what it was. The only question I have left: I don't see my project at Security & Privacy in System Preferences. Is it ok for development?

Replies

See "Requesting Permission to Use Location Services" in the CLLocationManager documentation for the process you're supposed to implement.

You're just checking the authorization status and never actually calling the request for authorization. As a result, authorization status is always going to be NotDetermined.

From documentation:

4. In iOS, if the authorization status was

kCLAuthorizationStatusNotDetermined
, call the
requestWhenInUseAuthorization
or
requestAlwaysAuthorization
method to request the appropriate type of authorization from the user.

There are no such methods on OS X requestWhenInUseAuthorization and requestAlwaysAuthorization.

As I got it right, permission promt will be shown when startUpdatingLocation method will be called for the first time, but it doesn't.

Take your mac off the 'net...what happens?

I fixed my problem, but the "fix" is very doubtful.

In my code I changed

//To:
        locationManager = CLLocationManager()

//From here:
//            locationManager = CLLocationManager()
//            locationManager.delegate = self

print("ok")

}

And autorisation prompt started to show!

I tried code on MBP and iMac, both didn't show the prompt untill this change. After the changes all fine.

The strange thing is that if I return code back, like in the original post, all works fine now, prompt will be shown (tried on both Macs too).

I'm not sure what it was. The only question I have left: I don't see my project at Security & Privacy in System Preferences. Is it ok for development?