Keyboard Options

It appears the keyboard options for the new ATV are quite limited. Bluetooth keyboards wont work. The existing Apple Remote App is not compatible with the new ATV. This leaves dealing with the multiple stroke hunt and **** approach using the onscreen keyboard displays. Surely there is something in the works to overcome this step backwards...

Replies

+1. I haven't been able to pair my keyboard, either. No idea why.

More info here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/58347#58347

ATV user-centric questions may be better suited for Apple's public community support forums rather than here in the developer/IDE forums, thanks.

Post what you want, Ed. I found your post useful.

I spent 30 minutes trying unsuccessfully to pair my keyboard up to my ATV4. Until I found your post, I didn't know that BT keyboard pairing was a current restriction, which was not a problem with ATV 3. Thank you.

That's exactly what this forum is for.

Many here develop apps for Apple devices. A common part of many apps is accepting text input from a user. Knowing that keyboard entry is basically not easy today may be of use to those who consider tvOS apps.

To quote from Apple: "The Apple Developer Forums are a great place to post questions and share comments on a variety of development topics with fellow developers and Apple engineers."

Exactly. And that includes usability of the device, obviously. Thank you again for your post.

A dev-specific use case is always a bonus. Good luck and keep us posted.