Simulator hangs since Xcode 7.1

Since the update to Xcode 7.1 the simulator hangs very often. It happens with various projects, even fresh ones.

It will repetitively beachball for a couple of seconds then show the normal cursor but still not react.

After some time it then might actually update the simulated app and after more normal interaction this blocking will start again.

Is there anything I could try?

I did try the 9.0 simulator, but it's the same. I didn't have this problem in Xcode 7.0.

It's very frustrating, I hope you can help me to find a solution.

Replies

I've been having the same issue ever since updating to 7.1.

Our team size has now shrunk because three of our developers have jumped off a bridge.

Yep, also happening here to a coworker. The developer hasn't jumped off a bridge yet, but it's tempting.

+1

Which bridge are you guys recommending?

I filed a radar if you want to dupe it.

I recommend using a toll-free bridge.

This issue was fixed in Xcode 7.2 beta.

Absolutely seeing this all the time. Combine this with how often doing anything in Interface Builder causes Xcode to crash and 7.1 gets my vote for most unstable version of Xcode I've ever used.

Can you build for App Store with one of the beta versions of Xcode or would I need to keep 7.1 around to for app submission?

I'm also seeing this problem just about every time I run in the simulator. 7.2 beta does not fix the issue for me.

This STILL occurs in Xcode 7.1.1.

What are you DOING Apple? Does anybody who works on this garbage of a product actually test it before releasing it?

7.1.1 is still doing it for me too! It was not fixed in 7.1.1 or in 7.2 beta.

Sorry, I was in error. It is not fixed in 7.2 beta. There should be a release note about it in 7.2 beta.

Yes, plenty of people internally and externally use the Simulator and test it without hitting this issue.

The issue is that there is a stall in transfering accessibility information between iOS and OS X. If you disable accessibility features in OS X, does the issue go away?

Note that the issue was only first reported after Xcode 7.1 was released, so nobody internally or externally reported hitting this during the Xcode 7.1 beta period, and I cannot reproduce it on my system, so I suspect it's related to specific accessibility settings that need to be enabled.

Another radar was filed http://www.openradar.me/23504761 that helped figure it out.

Turning off Flexiglass was what fixed it for me.

After seeing jeremyhu's response, it gave me a place to start looking. After hours of researching, I saw that Better touch tool modifies the Accessiblity Options for OSX.

It looks like its Better Touch Tool that is causing this.

APPLE FIX THIS!!!!!! Not the better touch tool guys though. Joking aside, just disable better touch tool while using xcode, and simulator will work again.

Yes, I have the same problem. It is really a terrible experience. And I really want to know how to fix it.