How "informed" should consent be?

So, we are doing a study on people's reaction to performance of a trivial, repetitive, boring task for an extended period of time (20 minutes). We are interested in how the response time of an individual varies as they go through the test. When we are finished, the only information we will be collecting will be the results of the test, the type of device used to take the test (latency differs among different models of iOS devices), the subjects age and ***. My initial feeling is that a simple "We want to collect the results of the test, your age and your ***. When finished with the test, this information, and only this information, will be transmitted to our servers. This information will be used only for statistical analysis," will be more than sufficient to fulfill the "informed consent" need for the app. However, since I am not a medical professional, but just the iOS guy, I wanted to run it by some people who have a little more experience with these things than I do to get a reality check.

Thanks for your time.

David

Edit: Put it in the wrong forum and discovered my mistake literally as soon as I hit the post button.

Replies

If you're asking about a privacy policy, feel free to google for examples, but it would seem to need to include the basic who/what/when/where/why: what info you collect; how it will be used; how long it will be retained; where it will be kept; how it will be protected; how it will be disposed of and whom to contact with questions.

I'd guess the study is under the auspices of a business or institution, in which case you may want to run this by any legal staff that might be handy.

An institutional review board (or equivalent) oversees research studies that use human subjects. These boards review a research study to make sure it is ethical. Any research app submitted to the App Store needs to demonstrate the research has been approved by an institutional review board (IRB). You might want to download a ResearchKit app from the app store and take a look at the informed consent section. Universities and Medical Centers should have an IRB and procedures for the review process. Those in industry can contact an agency such as the Western Institutional Review Board (USA).