PLEASE tell me my HomeKit issues will stop here

I seriously hope this will be the last time I have to write this. Especially that i called Apple literally 5-6 times and ALL 5-6 times each rep said, and i Quote, "HomeKit?, Whats that?" Yes, Apple tech support. So heres my dilemma. No matter what i do, i can not access my devices remotely. Believe me when i tell you, I'm not new to automation. I currently have, over 50 HomeKit devices. June 2nd, i rewired my entire house with hardwired Lutron in wall dimmers, plus plug in dimmers, iDevices switches, Elgato weather, ecobee 3, ismartplugs, over 30 phillips hue bulbs and i can't access a single device remotely. And please, PLEASE, realize that i have already done ALL the basics a thousand times.

i am on iOS 9.1, signed into iCloud with keychain and Apple TV 3rd Gen running 7.2, everything on same Network, so I have no idea what it could be. Once Apple support figured out what HomeKit was (lol), they directed me to the developers site to try to find some answers. I haven't yet, but as I'm writing this a few things popped in my head.

First, Apple TV, I have it hard wired to router, would that make a difference? .....well just unplugged it and connected it through wifi, so thats not it. BTW, i have already signed out and back into iCloud on all devices including Apple TV. I just can't figure it out, especially that Lutron, within its own app, DOES work remotely, Ecobee too. I have and use every JHomekit app in the app store, with iDevices being my main go to app due to its most tight knit integration with HomeKit and iCloud.

SO PLEASE, somebody give me some insight on what they think it could be. I have gotten rid of some extremely expensive equipment for HomeKit. As soon as it was announced, I made my decision that HomeKit would be my automation platform. I'm so sorry I did that right now, but the only thing saving me, is that in due time I'm sure it will be all fine. I just cant for the life of me figure out whats going wrong.

Thank you very much in advance for all, responses, advice, and opinions.

Replies

Hi,

What are exactly the answer you're looking for ?

Answer to which question ?

Regards,

Jerome

You need the Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge Model L-BDG2-WH as it is the bridge to HomeKit. The devices themselves don't speak HomeKit.

Once you have the Smart Bridge configured with your devices (using the Lutron App for Caseta Wireless, make sure you enable Siri Integration in the Lutron app (that one took me a while).

Ok, well i must be speaking with apple tech support here too. (Jerome) - what answers am I looking for? What questions? ------ the answers I'm looking for are, WHY CANT I ACCESS MY HOMEKIT DEVICES REMOTELY. ------- and uhm, I assume the question would be the same. (3no) With the amount of devices I have, do you really think I wouldn't have the smart bridge? Would I have re-wired my house with over 30 switches and NOT own the smart bridge 2 ? I'm pretty sure I wrote that I'm not new to automation. Also pretty sure I wrote the Lutron WORKED remotely within their own app. But anyway, with the help of IDevices wonderful tech support, I have gotten everything working perfectly and I am not happy and proud to say HomeKit controls my house.

I am *NOW happy and proud to say HomeKit controls my house

So what did your issue/obstacle(s) turn out to be, in case I or others run into the same?

Could you share with us what caused your problems?

You probbaly need an Apple TV to achieve the remote control, otherwise, you have to rely on the Homkit compatible Apps for in home control.

Yes - please post back with what the problem and resolutions were. Folks took the time to read of your issue - pay it forward! 😉

FYI, I couldn't get remote access working with Homekit either. Tried everything I had read on various forums and suggestions from Apple support. I tried with three different Apple TVs, going so far as resetting them first. Something with my @me.com account was preventing Homekit remote access from working. I setup a new iCloud account and Homekit worked right away. Tried switching back to my primary account and Homekit remote access just wouldn't work.

Having said that, what fixed my remote access problem with my primary Apple ID with Homekit was an Apple TV 4. The 3rd generation Apple TVs I had just won't work with my ID. Something must be different with the Homekit implementation on Apple TV 4.

what finally worked for ME was ----- 1-Resetting all devices to factory 2- resetting HomeKit configuration in iOS settings 3 -deleting every HomeKit related app 4- sign out of everywhere you are signed in with iCloud. including any other iPads, iPhones, iPods, Apple TV. Etc. I even went to iCloud.com and clicked sign out of everywhere. 5- I then picked an app that supports all HomeKit devices. - I used IDevices Connected app- 6- do not download each products own app, IDevices app finds, pairs, and sets up your HomeKit without the need of the products own app. For ex. Instead of downloading Lutrons app, I found Lutrons smart bridge 2 within IDevices app, I scanned the code, and set all products up in IDevices. There were one or two products that needed their own app but I don't remember which ones. Since I did that, any and all of my devices are accessible remotely and even work more fluently with Siri. And I had MAJOR issues with HomeKit and this seemed to work for me. I even got the new Apple TV and just set it up like normal, and my HomeKit is still working flawless. Hope this works for you and anyone else having any HomeKit issue. Good luck. Please let me know your outcomes.

My remote access would come and go prior to installing the iOS 9.2 beta this morning. Seems to be solid now using ithe Apple TV 3 or 4 at home. My theory is that the problem is with iOS, not in the home.

Remote access stopped working for me after a few days with my first accessories. I first tried logging out of iCloud on my iPhone and Apple TV, but that didn't work. I finally had it work again by factory resetting my Apple TV (4th gen).

Well, the beta of 9.2 worked with Apple TV 3 & 4 for awhile. Then I lost internet connectivity via Apple TV 3, followed by intermittent internet connectivity with Apple TV 4. Things may have gotten better yesterday with the release of tvOS 9.1 on Apple TV 4. I have two houses, both with tvOS 9.1 and Apple TV 4, and they are connecting, and the resonse time seems to be a lot faster. Still no luck with Apple TV 3. Perhaps it is also awaiting an update that will benefit HomeKit.

We'll see what happens after a few days. I'm hoping the troubles are behind us.

So glad to find this post. In the end, it got my iDevices thermostat connected to HomeKit. Had signed out of iCloud on my iPhone to try get it to work, but needed to completely sign out of it everywhere and then it worked as spelled out above. Thanks so much.

Thanks JuST BLeSSeD. I recently installed my first smarthome device which is a Schlage Sense deadbolt. I selected this product because it is HomeKit compatible and I didn't want to be locked in to a system which requires a propietary hub in this rapidly developing space. I already had Apple TV 3rd generation which is advertised to give me remote access to my new lock and this is where my headaches started, just like everyone else here. After trying all the recommended "fixes" by Apple and Schlage which is nothing more than verifying all settings, I found this forum. I am here to report that remote access via Apple TV 3rd generation is now working and all I did after reading this post by JuST BLeSSeD was install the free iDevices app on my iPhone 6plus and gave it all the permissions it asked for. Thats it. I can now control my lock from anywhere I have internet access. I did leave the Schlage app in place for now until I finish exploring all the capabilities of the iDevices app.