Only one editable NSTextField at a time

I'm trying to replicate finder rename behavior, where I have a list of NSTextFields (editable = false). On activating the "rename" function on one of the entries, I switch that field to editable and select its text. If there's currently another item in edit mode, I want to end editing on that field, so that there's only one editable text field at a time. If a field is editable, and the user clicks some other control, I want the field to end editing.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong, but while I can manage all of that, the trouble I'm having is with the last piece of the puzzle: Since setting the text field to editable, setting it as first-responder, and selecting its text doesn't actually start editing (as in 'controlTextDidBeginEditing'), I don't get any events from the text field when the user actions another control.

This kind of behavior is so ubiquitous across the OS that I feel like I must be missing a super-obvious easy way to achieve this, but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.

Any ideas?