Watch App separate price point & general comments

Hi,

My app Chronic Timer is on both iOS and WatchOS. On iOS I use iAds as a method of montization. I'm surprised Apple doesnt allow you to set seperate price points for iOS app vs Apple Watch app.

Because there is no ad model for Apple Watch (justified), I want to set the price for the Apple Watch app at lets say $1 and keep the iOS app free (Ad supported). Currently I would need to seperate the apps into two projects and thats ugly because of several reasons

- No handoff support

- I would need to add all the functionality on Apple Watch app. Right now I let users create routines on iPhone/iPad and push it to Apple Watch app

- Apple Watch app would have a blank iOS app

This in my opinion is critical to the success of Apple Watch. I already mentioned this on several occasions to Apple. Without developers ESPECIALLY indie developers, iOS and WatchOS will go the direction of Windows. And though the initial hype is working and there are 10000 WatchOS apps already, they are weak. Thats due to several reasons:

- WatchOS had (still has some) many issues

- Lack of functionality

- No real monitization supoort if you rely on an Ad model for your iOS app

Apple has lately been also taking alot of opportunities away from developers by developing competing apps. This in my opinion kills competition. Instead Apple should target apps with the functionality it seeks to develop and create a 1-to-1 session and continues support to get that Apple integrated into its OS. Apple doesnt/shouldnt be in every small niche, thats how big companies go down. Too many things, nothing done right. Ask Google, every letter in their Alphabet will be a ****** implementation of a concept because they want to be everywhere.

A few more points from a small inide developer:

- App review times take too long for brand new apps, they should be given priority because its critical to push updates quickly in an apps early stage

- Instead of taking 30% flat, Apple should introduce a staggered tier system, initially taking nothing or little until the App starts making GOOD money. This will increase competition and motivate indie developers to develop apps.

- Instead of rejecting apps in early development stages during review. Setup a 1-to-1 with the developer and iron out the issues quickly and push the apps out.

(This doesnt need to be done by the review team but someone should do it)

To the other developers, please feel free to add your opinion and suggestions.

Hope this message gets enough recongition to motitvate Apple to sort things out.

Ace

Replies

Why not start with a very basic Watch app and unlock premium functionalities with in-app purchase?

My Watch app is very basic, it runs through the routines created on iPhone/iPad. Unforunately It can't get more complicated.I still want to monitize it seperately from my iOS app without having to make two apps

Yes, I understand what you want.

You can create a Watch app that asks users to buy "Pro version" in-app purchase on iOS app in order to unlock more functionalities.

Just like you do on iOS apps.

So you have an iOS free+iAD app and a watchOS free+in-app app in the same bundle.

So the Watch app would technically not work unless they buy the "Pro version" in-app purchase?

I'm still fairly new to app development so not fully famiilar with in-app purchases and such

You have to manage in-app purchases on your iOS app because it's not possible on WatchKit.

I don't know if Apple will accept a Watch app that does nothing. I think you should add at least basic functionality.

Then, after they buy the "Pro version" in-app purchase, unlock all functionalities.

How will this work with iPad and Apple Watch? Purchasing the "Pro Version" on iPad will not have an affect on Apple Watch App or?

Because currently in order to inform my Apple Watch that the "Pro Version" has been purchased, I do updateApplicationContext()

This only works on iPhone

You can just disable/hide the "buy Pro version" button on iPad.

Ah this is really frustrating all around. Wouldnt it just be easier to have two price points? Actually price points for every device, iPhone, iPad, TV, Apple Watch. Each have different funtcionality/complexity and the price needs to reflect that.

Am I the only one that see a use-case for such a functionality?

I appreciate the feedback though

You have two prices, you need two apps. One app is free with ads and no watch. The other costs $0.99 has no ads, runs on iphone and watch.