install public release if you already have GM candidate installed?

with public release now underway, is there a reason to download and install that if we already have the GM candidate installed?

Replies

Yes, there's a good reason to download and install - the release version is build 15A284, while the GM version was 15A282b, indicating that some improvements were made since the GM was released.

-Max

Because store updates, yes.

Update mechanism registers GM seeds as an advanced version over the just released El Capitan. In other words, it appears that the only way to install the release version over a GM seed is to errase the volume and perform clean install. Or have I missed something? (I so wish I missed something and that it is in fact possible to simply update to the release version...)

Upon attempting to download from App Store, the following appeared.

"OS X v10.11 is already installed on this computer. Use the Updates page to install the 10.11 update or if you would like to download the full OS X installer click Continue."

I had not downloaded the recently released 10.11.1 Public Beta since I knew the public release was coming.

So do I need to upload the Beta update first and then install public release? Or, as the App store message instructs, download full installer?

Thanks for your consistent and wise help, Max108

Patrick

That's surprising to me. Are you quite certain you don't have one of the 10.11.1 betas? What's the output of sw_vers -buildVersion on your system?

If you want today's release version then don't update to 10.11.1 because then you won't be able to downgrade without losing your user environment (unless you have a TM backup). You need the full installer, (which won't affect your user environment - you'll still have your user account, apps etc. intact).

Thanks for your response Max:

sw_vers -buildVersion is 15B17c.

Apple's FAQ page lists the following in response to the question "How do I get a shipping version of OS X back on my Mac?": "To get a shipping release of OS X on your Mac, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in the Mac App Store."

Under the Updates tab of the App Store app I have OS X El Capitan Update Developer Beta 10.11.1, which I did not yet click in the anticipation of the public release... I'm currently downloading the release version...

Yes - you've got 10.11.1 Beta 1, not the GM, hence the message about not being able to go back to an earlier version. You'll need a pre-10.11.1 TM backup to go back to today's release version unless you're happy to start clean.

Btw. Patrick, on the last couple of threads that we were corresponding on, I had the sense you weren't notified of my replies. If you would like to get an email notification when someone replies to a thread you created then click on "Welcome pclafferty" in the top left of any forum page > Preferences > Inbox = On. It might be best to turn all the notification settings to on (even though you're not a moderator) as some people have reported that to be the only way to get reliable notifications...