Restored with no apps

I foolishly excluded the ~/Applicaitons folder from my backups and I am regretting it. Funny thing is that the only app I have is Finder and Chrome (airdropped it over from another computer)! I don't even have System Preferences or the App Store! Internet recovery doesn't work and neither does reinstalling the OS, every time I try to redownload it, it says my username or password is incorrect.

I know what I signed up for when I downloaded the beta on this machine, however I think it's imperative that users get a warning when excluding critical folders from backup that can handicap the system. It is a little shocking that Time Machine allowed me to restore my system to a vegetable. I am currently downloading the GM from another machine (no direct download links 😟) and hopefully that resolves my issues.

Replies

Hi Lame.

Yes, it should do but also going to "normal" Recovery Mode and selecting reinstall OS X should fix that for you. I'm also wondering if you are not booting into a restricted account such as the Guest account...

A couple of things:

• What happened that left you apparently without applications?
  • Installing OS X over itself is non-destructive - i.e. your apps and data etc. wont be touched.

Max.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

• Excluding the ~/Applications folder (as well as /System/Applications) from the Time Machine backup left me without any apps
  • I have reinistalled OS X (El Cap GM) and it has restored the system apps (allowing me to download updates, other apps, etc).

Edit: Also I have tried reinstalling OS X from the normal recovery mode, however I was unable to do so, I believe it was an ongoing issue in the betas.

Excellent 🙂

So your issue is resolved now that you've reinstalled OS X and downloaded your apps again?

Yep ✅