TVML versus tvOS to reach all devices?

I am confused about tvml versus using tvOS to create an app that works on all three platforms. For the sake of clarity, can someone please explain if using a tvml template provided by Apple will also work on iPad & iPhone?

In other words, the HBO GO app works on the Apple TV, the iPhone and the iPad, and allows users to pick up a movie they were watching on the phone on the Apple TV in the spot where they left off.

In order to do this, do developers have to create a tvOS app from scratch that will pass information between all other devices, or can we use a tvml template and still pass info to the other devices? Using tvml would clearly be a time saver, but I'm not sure that we can use those templates to move info back and forth between regular iOS apps.

A thorough explanation would be very much appreciated!

Accepted Reply

Hi RinkTank,

The means of sharing playback position information is up to you, regardless of whether you opt to go the TVML route for your tvOS app or use UIKit.

TVML is only available for tvOS, so you'd need to create a UIKit based app for iOS.

Either way, you can use iCloud, CloudKit, or your own hosted services to track the viewing state and allow your apps across the platforms be able to share that information.

Replies

Hi RinkTank,

The means of sharing playback position information is up to you, regardless of whether you opt to go the TVML route for your tvOS app or use UIKit.

TVML is only available for tvOS, so you'd need to create a UIKit based app for iOS.

Either way, you can use iCloud, CloudKit, or your own hosted services to track the viewing state and allow your apps across the platforms be able to share that information.

Will TVML (or at least a converter) be available for IOS 10, so we don't need to create apps twice?

I guess they'll do something about a tvml player on the Remote App first...