"system has run out of application memory"

I just got this error. I have 24GB of system RAM. Activity monitor showed that the Message application was using 70GB. I have 250GB disk space free on my main drive.

I should not be getting this.

Test this stuff Apple!

Replies

Messages is using 36.4 MB on my system.

One reason Apple has a beta program is so more tesing can be done by more people.

The GM seed, while pre-release, should not have major issues like this.

That's pretty extreme - and I've not seen anyone else reporting something similar with Messages. You could try having OS X re-create the container for your user (this won't affect your actual messages) by moving the existing files as follows:

Close Messages and select Finder, then press shift+cmd+G and copy-paste in the path in bold, then move the file selected in Finder to the Desktop:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.share.Messages.compose/Container.plist

Again press shift+cmd+G and copy-paste in this path:

~/Library/Preferences/

From the search bar in the top-right of the Finder window, search for the following. In each case, copy all the files found to the Desktop (you may want to make a temporary folder for them there because there'll be quite a few)

• com.apple.imservice
  • com.apple.imagent
  • com.apple.iChat

• Then reopen Messages and confirm that the memory leak is not re-occuring. If it's fixed then you can trash the files on the Desktop (actually so long as there is no other issue with Messages, you can trash them anyway).

I posted because I cannot reproduce your problem. And as Max108 pointed out, you seem to be the only one reporting such behavior. That leads one to believe it is a local problem with your system and not with Messages itself. I would try Max108's suggestion. He is very good at ferreting out problems.

Hi Max, It was Messages, not Contacts. Any suggestions for Messages. Regards, Patrick

Sorry, I had too many questions opened at the same time in my browser 😊😕😊

Edited my post to be relevant to your question now.

Okay, edited and tested my initial post - give it a shot if you like - it's a tad more involved than for Contacts.