El Capitan problems with Apple Wireless Keyboard

I'm on a 5K iMac and Apple Wireless Keyboard running the El Capitan GM seed, and sometimes when I awake it from sleep, my keyboard becomes unusable -- it still recognizes keystrokes, but the keystrokes registered do not correspond what what I input. For example, I require my password when resuming from sleep, and if I hit even one key, there will be a small delay and then the password field will start filling with a long string of characters. It's not an infinite string, so it will eventually stop, and I can't see what keys are being filled since it's a password (hidden). The mouse seems to work fine, but the keyboard becomes useless. It doesn't always happen when the computer goes to sleep, and a hard reboot will always fix this problem. Also, a wired Apple keyboard works perfectly, even when the wireless keyboard exhibits this problem. I've tried two Apple Wireless Keyboard with the same results, so I don't think it's the keyboard. I've also done a clean install of El Capitan, and this still happens, so it's not a weird software glitch specific to my install.

I've noticed this issue since earlier El Capitan developer preview versions (can't remember exactly when it started), but I always figured it would get ironed out by the GM. Now that it still exists in the GM, I'm beginning to think maybe something else may be going on. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks in advance!

Accepted Reply

I was experiencing very strange behaviour with my keyboard also. When I tried to log into my iMac from time to time the keyboard response was extremely erratic. Today I experienced the exact same effect but this time I was logged into my iMac and trying to use spotlight search. I would enter a word and it took several seconds for each of the characters of the word to appear. When I hit space bar the space would advance at about 10 to 15 spaces. It turns out my trackpad was the problem. The moment I disconnected it from the iMac the keyboard returned to normal use. I usually keep by trackpad close to the keyboard tray. I've since reconnected it but have moved it up and off to the side. So far keyboard acting normally. I know this does not help Macbook Pro/Air users who are experiencing similar problems but there is definitely something wrong with the trackpad setup. Anyway hope this helps you also.

Replies

It would be interesting to see what the finite string on wake is. Have you tried turning off System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Require a password immediately after sleep, and then opening a new TextEdit document (for example) and having it as the active window when you put the iMac to sleep?

Anyway, even if no-one else corroborates the bug it's worth filing a bug report (https://bugreport.apple.com), especially given the time you've already put into diagnosing it.

-Max

Add me to the list. have the same problem with the keyboard randomly spitting out input feeds at the login screen. This started happening once GM release was installed for me, which was under a 'wipe and load' install. Didn't see this problem in other builds. Tired repairing bluetooth devices, reset NVRAM, and SMC not luck. When the keyboard behaves this way at login screen, I power it off and power it back on. It seems to respond. There is certainly a few 'odd ball' things going on with the GM on my machine. Hope they're address before the final GA release. Recommend reporting it to Apple via beta feedback tool, if you have not done so already.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce the problem running 10.11.1. Perhaps it's fixed.

Dialabrian,

thanks for update. I'm part of Apple Seed program. And don't have access to 10.11.1 yet. Suspect, public testers will receive it next week or we'll have to wait for GA release.

Fwiw, another user said that he/she had a similar problem (with the keyboard being non-responsive and then sending strings random text) and fixed it by replacing the batteries in the keyboard.

I was going to suggest trying fresh batteries but I thought users might be insulted by stating the obvious. Next time I'll just chance it. 😉

Generally, that's the first thing done when it comes to issues with trackpad, mouse, KB i.e. basic troubleshooting. 🙂 but, to answer your inquiry... fresh batteries didn't make a difference. Based on behavior my observation is a some type of logical issue with the GM released to the public beta testers. And yes, the issue has been reported through the Apple Seed Feedback Assistant.

Issue still exists on Public Beta release 10.11.1 😟

Boogi,

After further troubleshooting turned checked 'Prevent Computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off' last night. This morning the KB didn't exhibit the behavior it has been. Going to uncheck the setting tonight and leave the computer and see if the problem returns. I'm wondering if it is some type of sleep issue bug. You might want to try on your iMac this would confirm/deny if my observation is reality or fluke.

Perhaps that's why I had no issue with the wireless keyboard. I have no 'Prevent Computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off' setting on an iMac. Or I've misplaced it. 😮

Just out of curiosity (off subject) why is ... Prevent Computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off (selection-option) available on some machines and not on others? I run several Imacs and some have that option, some do not? Just curious? Thanks

Good Question. I wish I knew the answer. I assume it has to do with the model and year of the iMac but I don't know that. The one I have 10.11.1 installed on is an iMac (27-inch, Late 2012).

Right on.... I kinda figured it was based on the model/year....but really didnt see a pattern.

Count me in having the same problem. I will try the technique identified by Max108 and report back my findings.

My iMac is a late 2013 with 10.11.1. So far, today since posting this morning checking 'prevent computer from going to sleep while monitors are off' the KB doesn't act up. When I lock the computer and come back to it 30 minutes later it seems to be responding. I'm starting to think something with computer going to sleep. Because I'd experience this issue multiple times a day since 10.11 GM and so far (knock on wood) KB works perfect. True test will be tonight when i re-enable the feature and let the computer sit. Will see tomorrow AM.