Time Machine won't backup hourly on GM seed

Hi,

3 or 4 days after I installed the GM seed, it stopped doing the hourly backups. TM is turned ON in System Preferences. I see nothing in the console for backupd. If I manually start a backup, it works.

Any ideas on how to get it to run every hour again?

Thanks, Patrick

Accepted Reply

I noticed that my drive icon was also yellow.

I think I fixed my problem. It's been working for about 12 hours. I went into TM prefs and changed the destination drive and just picked the existing drive and now it's doing backups hourly.

Replies

Partrick - did you scan the release notes for hints, tips etc. as pertains to TM ?

Ken

-=-

I too am have horrific issues with TM both with Time Capsule and an external drive.. I'm finding no auto back ups as well as it hanging on preparing back up.

Ken.. you mentioned notes on this? Can you direct me to where those may be. In the interim, any known fixes for the Preparing Back situation or the auto back ups?

Thanks so much!

Marc

Marc - how ya' been...

Release notes....let's see...try here: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/General/rn-osx-10.11/

Ken

thanks Ken.. nothing there about TM issues..

the two latest are:

Hanging on Preparing Back up

and

No Auto Backups.

Arrgh.. I know public release is in 9 days but hoping to get some solid back ups before then.. Kinda scary not to have them.

M

Copy that - fingers crossed & good luck.

so no other known fixes to either of these issues?

Not that I'm aware of, sorry. Perhaps max108 can chime with better news.

I don't see release notes on the download page for the 10.11 GM seed.

Indeed, I am having the same issue with Time Machine. Does not do hourly backup. I can manually start the backup however. Also, yesterday was stalling when doing a backup, would start and never finish. I had time and I did a clean install and still the same issue. Backup drive has been formatted and I ran disk utility on it and there does not appear to be any issues with the drive.

FYI, I have a BTO 2013 iMac, with a 3.5 GHZ i7 CPU, and a 3TB Fusion drive, in case any of that detail matters.

Regarding the autoback up, I still have to try Max's suggestion and will report back

For the erratic behavior, (and being stalled in Preparing Mode), what I found worked was running disk utility on the drive (when using the external drive) and on the TimeMachine disk image when using time capsule. that seemed to help. (I also trashed the com.apple.timemachine.plist)

What I did find on my external, since I erased it as well (was trying every trick I knew), it did take a bit of time to go through the "Preparing Backup" step, but this time I decided to wait it out (Patience is never one of the suggested troubleshooting steps!) and lo and behold it started doing it's thing.

Hope that helps resotre some faith in TM on 10.11.1 but certainly hope in Final Release the auto issue is solved incase Max's solution doesn't solve it.

M

Manual Updates on TM-

While the manual updating of TM on my TimeCapsule worked this morning, when I got home tonight, and went to "update", it's once again stuck in Preparing for Backup mode.

Also, I noticed the icon doesn't have the "second" arrow while doing this, so I assume nothing is really happening.

I can't tell if having two different drives triggered this or not. I'll remove the office backup (external drive version) to see if that changes anything

Scan Console logs (/Applications/Utilities) - there may be some hints about what's going on w/TM there. I'd look for anything that indicates a misalignment between assigned backup and target/source.

Regarding hourly backups: Could it be that your system is connected to a UPS unit (with USB monitoring cable)? In my experience, this could be the trigger for this effect.

Max's fix above solved the auto hourly backup situation!!! THANKS MAX

The preparing for back up issue, seems to work itself out but after a very long time.. Not sure why that's taking so long since not much has changed since an earlier back up..

M

I tried Max's fix, I get this response in Terminal, "Could not write domain /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto; exiting". Any thoughts? I am using an Admin account.