iOS 9 app links (deep links) no longer work...

So I understand that Apple has massivly changed deep-linking with iOS 9. The issue I am hitting is that the app links which worked yesterday, are failing today.

I am using a web based database platform, and have been using "MyApp://x-callback-url/MyApp-Call/" style of URLs to launch a third party data-aquisition app from a web page.

I understand that Apple now requires white listing, either in the calling app or the web site. The problem is that the calling app is Safari, so I can't change it's white list, and the web site is a database platform, where I can not put the "apple-app-site-association" JSON file in the root. Even if I could, I don't have the developer ID of the app being called.

So am I more or less doomed? Or is there an option that's escaped me.

Replies

Small update/clairifcation. The x-call-back URLs do still work, so long as they are launched from an <A HREF> rather then via JavaScript. However they now prompt the user to confirm that they want to open the target app.

The old style deep links still work in iOS 9: yourapp://youraction/yourref etc. iOS 9 introduces a prompt that will ensure the user allows the switch to the app. I think the user is just prompted once, so future switches will be unprompted.

Apple are pushing to ultimately replace this with a URL that has a web page alternative, e.g. https://yoururl.com/youraction/yourref. iOS 9 will take the user to the web page if the app is not installed, but directly to the app (no Safari) if the app is installed.

It is a requirement of the Universal Link feature that the server yoururl.com have the apple-app-site-association file at its root. If you can't comply with that, then, yes, it looks like you are doomed!

I don't think the old style deep link format will go away quickly, though, so you can continue on that track for a while.