Rejected for an empty com.apple.developer.icloud-container-identifiers value?

That's a new one for me. I've checked and all of our previous builds had the same empty entry. Zealous reviewer? Also, why wouldn't the static analyzer catch that in the first place? No! You have to wait DAYS to be told that! Don't get me started on the broken review process...

Anyway, as anyone else seen rejections because of similar issues lately?

Replies

If I remove the entry in from the entitlements file, Xcode gives me a warning and fixing the issue puts it right back in!

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q8xsnc344y90i0/com.apple.developer.icloud-container-identifiers.png?dl=0

In fact, starting a new iOS or OS X project from Xcode from scratch, enabling iCloud and turning Key-Value storage on will automatically create an empty com.apple.developer.cloud-container-identifiers entry!

I only need KV storage, but Xcode kept insisting to add the container entitlement and wanted that added to the App ID. I found that I could have just KV storage with older versions of Xcode, but newer versions want both even though you DO NOT need containers for KV storage. You could delete the empty container entitlements and that should do the trick, but Xcode will keep trying to "fix" the problem for you and it may not be worth the hassle. I finally got sick of fighting Xcode and added a container to the App ID and then setup the container entitlements in Xcode. Another example of Xcode "fixing" problems by creating them in the first place.

Same problem with my Mac app. No need for iCloud container, I only use KV storage, and my app was rejected:

Your app incorrectly implements sandboxing, or it contains one or more entitlements with invalid values. Please review the included entitlements and sandboxing documentation and resolve this issues before resubmitting a new binary.

com.apple.developer.icloud-container-identifiers []

Did your app get accepted if you submitted with a dummy icloud container that is not used in your app?

I believe you just need to delete the empty entitlement from the plist file, but I never verified that with a submission. I created an actual container tied to the app ID and used that in the Xcode settings and in the entitlements.

I've just done that (removing the com.apple.developer.icloud-container-identifiers entry from the entitlement plist file) and my submission was accepted. This is not really satisfying, as XCode still insists to "fix the issue".