Xcode 7 missing required 10.10 SDK

It appears that the packagers of the Xcode 7 application GM release got confused by the recent Xcode 6.3 and 6.4 releases which only supported a single OS X release and neglected to include the 10.10 SDK. Since Xcode 7 GM runs on both Yosemite and El Capitan, it must provide both SDKs like Xcode 6.2 did for Mavericks and Yosemite. Curently Command_Line_Tools_OS_X_10.10_for_Xcode_7_GM_seed.dmg contains Command Line Tools (OS 10.10).pkg which in turn contains DevSDK_OSX1010.pkg. This creates a rupture on 10.10 between the SDK used for the headers in /usr/include and the only SDK available in Xcode.app itself.

Replies

Note this is filed as radr: 22649761.

Currently the only solution is to manually copy over the missing MacOSX10.10.sdk from the Xcode 6.4 release.

Apparently this is by design. Fortunately for cmake builds this mismatched SDKs can be avoid by using...

-DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET:STRING="" \

-DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:STRING=/ \

to keep cmake away from the buried SDK in Xcode.app. This also avoids the associated warnings from cmake...

CMake Warning at /sw/share/cmake-3.3/Modules/Platform/Darwin-Initialize.cmake:97 (message):

CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is '10.10' but the matching SDK does not exist

at:

"/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk"

Instead using SDK:

"/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk".

Call Stack (most recent call first):

/sw/share/cmake-3.3/Modules/CMakeSystemSpecificInitialize.cmake:18 (include)

CMakeLists.txt:20 (project)

Could you explain "apparently this is by design" a bit? I'm in the same boat but we don't use cmake. Is Apple saying they won't be including the 10.10 SDK? (Note that we have the 10.9 and 10.10 SDKs with Xcode 6.4 so haven't seen this issue before.) I''m guessing you got a response to radr: 22649761 that has more detail.

If I compile my application with the 10.11 SDK in xcode 7, are people gonna be able to use it on Yosemite (Deployment Target is 10.10) ? A friend on 10.10.2 reported being unable to launch the application (error message about having a version of OS X that's too old).

Is the Deployment Target set to 10.10 in both the Project and the Target? I've noticed that in some of my projects changing one doesn't change the other.