tvOS - as Universal App?

Can someone point me to some documentation about Universal App support for tvOS?

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

tvOS apps are indeed standalone. Unlike iPhone vs iPad, which can be universal under a single target and binary, you do need to create a separate target for tvOS, much like you would for creating an OS X application.

However, you can share much of your code and resources between the targets.

Replies

Add a new Target, for tvOS.

The "DemoBots" sample code illustrates this - it has 3 targets, for iOS, OS X and tvOS (and each target has it's own Storyboard).

Is Universal Purchase and a Universal App one-and-the-same? I currently have two Universal Apps on the App Store, but don't recall seeing the "Universal Purchase" term. Is this something new for tvOS? (Or am I just tired...)

"Empower customers to enjoy their favorite apps on both iOS and the new Apple TV with a single purchase by enabling universal purchase for your app on the App Store."

Apparently, while you can share code via targets in Xcode, tvOS apps are standalone and thus cannot be Universal Apps.

via Apple Staff reply in another thread: "tvOS apps do need to be standalone"

So... waiting to hear what is Universal Purchase, and how to enable it.

How can it be standalone only, yet their own documentation shows it simply as another target?

IDK. Hoping someone from Apple will help clarify what they mean by "Universal Purchase."

I would assume Universal App just means it uses App Thinning, so you have one app in the store and the user gets the app code just for their device, regardless if its an Apple TV or iPhone.

From this page

https://developer.apple.com/tvos/

"Empower customers to enjoy their favorite apps on both iOS and the new Apple TV with a single purchase by enabling universal purchase for your app on the App Store."

Created a new thread regarding Universal Purchases: https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/51174

I think it´s rather clear that the apps themselves are not universal, so universal purchases must refer to something else.

tvOS apps are indeed standalone. Unlike iPhone vs iPad, which can be universal under a single target and binary, you do need to create a separate target for tvOS, much like you would for creating an OS X application.

However, you can share much of your code and resources between the targets.

Thanks for the info, TidBits.

So is there any documentation out yet on how to submit two seperate builds as a "Universal Purchase"?

I don't have much to share at this moment other than it involves the use of the same Bundle and App ID for both platforms.

Please stand by for additional documentation on iTunes Connect for tvOS apps at some future date.

Okay, thanks!

So, unlike say - a watch app - my user's won't see my TV app if they purchased my iPhone app in the past, like the watch app, or a today widget?

This means there is a separate purchase required to get the TV version of my iPhone app, which greatly reduces the chances user's will notice my update?

Or the idea is that pricing would be different on TV?

To be clear, this is a new and additional process for developers and for users both and we have not had this issue with adding targets for today widgets or watch apps -- the TV process will be different?

Tidbits, do I have to use two separate storyboards (one for iOS, one for tvOS), or can a single Storyboard be shared between the iOS and the tvOS targets?

You need seperate Storyboards for tvOS.

You can share code (as applicable) between your projects (by adding the tvOS app as a new target.)

@jtaylor: Basically, I believe the idea is that iOS and tvOS are completely seperate apps. However, by sharing the same app ID, you will be able to enable the yet-to-be-documented "Universal Purchase" feature so that people will be able to pay once on one platform and download the other at no additional charge.