Install Public Beta 6 after GM Cand?

Installed GM Candidate. Now App Store tells me I should install Public Beta 6.

Should I? I thought GM was subsequent to any other public betas?

confused

Replies

GM version is always the last version before the public release. The beta period is officially over. In case you are getting such messages, it is probably a bug which you can ignore.

Hi again 🙂

No, don't install PB 6.

There's two possibilities here. One is that you downloaded the GM Candidate very soon after it was released and then pulled. This happened for quite a few people who then discovered that they had Beta 7 installed because that is what downloaded in its place during that time. If this is the case then you need to download the GM Candidate again.

You can check this by going to the Apple menu > About this Mac. If you have the GM Candidate installed then the build should be 15A282b (or possibly 15A282a).

So if you in fact do have the GM Candidate installed, then you need to clear the App Store caches - it has more than one of these, but the easy one to start off with is ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore.

Max.

It appears I have 15A262e installed. (although I'm in safe mode--does that matter?) What should I do?

Is this the same Mac as the other question you just posted? Anyway, you need to download the GM candidate again and either install it over what you have now and cross your fingers or, if you're having trouble as per your recent thread, then you might consider using it to make a USB installer from which to wipe the current install and start again. Then you can migrate in select parts of your most recent backup (a relatively painless process using the Migration Assistant app)

I will redownload GM and see what happens. As I peruse the console logs, I'm seeing that same .kext as the last logged file prior to the panic.

thanks for your help, Max108. I do appreciate it.

Patrick

Well let's get rid of that kext before installing the GM.

• is it NARCPacketInterceptor.kext?
  • Do you already know where it is to delete it?

If you have a spare 8GB+ USB stick, it would offer insurance to make a USB installer from the GM too.

the kext is called: NARCPacketInterceptor.kext (I think it's related to netnanny)

I do know where to find that .kext: /library/extensions...so I'll remove it prior to installation.

Alas, I do not have access to an 8GB USB stick. Would using my time machine backup disk be a workaround?

Editing confusions 🙂

The TM backup offers a different kind of insurance. A spare external drive would be just as good as a USB stick, but if you haven't either then it doesn't matter.

Just to know which 3rd party kexts are installed, you could run the following from Terminal in Safe Mode and then post the output:

• ls -1 /Library/Extensions/
  • ls -1 /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/
  • find /System/Library/Extensions -ctime +2w -depth 2
  • find /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports -name *.panic -ctime -2d

Removed the "offending" .kext file

Redownloaded GM Candidate

Reinstalled GM (now no build number appears on About this Mac)

Rebooted

GM, as per usual, crashes on reboot

Boot into safe mode

Re-remove the reappearing .kext file (I suppose the only enduring workaround is to remove the software that keeps installing that .kext)

Run Disk First Aid

Reboot into normal mode

GM now boots (for now) without issue

so far, so good.

Thanks, Max108

That's great. 🙂

Could you run:

sw_vers -buildVersion

from Terminal, or check as above, to confirm that you're now on the GM build number since that was the original question. If it's 15A282b (or possibly 15A282a) then this question can be marked as answered.

The App Store should no longer be offering you PB 6 now anyway...

Also, yes, I'd highly recommend you completely uninstall the NetNanny software until they release a version that is explicitly compatible with El Capitan.

Good luck going forward Patrick 🙂

terminal reports: 15A282a

That just means you have the Public Beta version of the GM - You're good.

Hi Patrick,

To mark this question as answered please click [Correct Answer] under the reply that resolved the question. Also if other replies (your own included) contributed, click on the Actions menu underneath them to "Mark as Helpful".

Thanks,

Max