Unable to download iOS 8 Sim Xcode 7 GM

I updated my machine to OS X 10.11 El Capitan GM and because Xcode 6.4 is no loger supported on El Capitan I also updated my Xcode installation to Xcode 7 GM. The basics seem to work so far, I can build my projects and the iOS 9 simulators do work. Whenever I try to install an older simulator (iOS 8.1, iOS 8.2, iOS 8.3, iOS 8.4) I get an error telling me that the simulator could not be downloaded an an authorization is required.

10.09.15 15:18:43,483 Xcode[598]: [MT] DVTDownloadable: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=100 "Could not download and install iOS 8.4 Simulator. Es ist eine Autorisierung erforderlich, um das Paket installieren zu können." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Could not download and install iOS 8.4 Simulator. Es ist eine Autorisierung erforderlich, um das Paket installieren zu können.}

I do not understand the issue, when I start downloading a simulator through Xcode a popup comes up and I have to enter my password. Everything seems to work until a little bit later when suddenly the discribed error occurs.

A colleague of mine installed Xcode 7 GM on OS X 10.10.4 and he could successfully install the simulators. It seems as the problem occurs only when using Xcode 7 GM on El Capitan.

Do you also have the same problem? Does anybody have a workaround for the issue?

Replies

Yep, same issue here. Have had it since Beta 1

I also have the same issue. I haven't been able to install any iOS 8 simulator on previous beta versions too.

Yeah, same issue for me using XCode 7 GM on the El Capitan GM. I get the, "Could not download and install iOS 8.X Simulator. Authorization is required to install the packages.", message every time I try to download one of the simulators.

It seems to only be an issue with XCode 7 running on El Capitan. I have a co-worker who installed XCode 7 on Yosemite and it downloads the iOS 8 simulators just fine. I'm surprised Apple hasn't responded on this issue, as it seems a pretty easily reproducable problem and a whole lot of developers are running into it.

Is there anyone out there running on El Capitan with XCode 7 who has installed an iOS 8 sim successfully?

Same issue for me since the first El Capitan public beta

Same issue with me, in the beta version of xcode7 & El Captian are also having this issue. It's like still issue in the GM version😕

I have submitted a bug report for this (22644731). I suggest you all do the same 🙂

I found a (probably not very good) workaround for the problem. When I launch Xcode as root from the command line using

sudo /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode

the simulators download fine. After that I closed Xcode and launched it through Spotlight (like I normally do) and i can now use the simulators.

That seems to be the solution for now until Apple fixes it. Thanks!

Thanks for the workaround 🙂

Not sure if this will work for anyone else, but I was finally able to get simulators downloaded and installed for my Xcode 7 GM running on El Capitan GM.

1. Reboot into recovery mode (Cmd-R)

2. Open Terminal and disable SIP using the following command:

csrutil disable

3. Reboot, open Xcode 7 GM, and install iOS 8.4 Simulator. If all goes well, install the other simulators.

4. Reboot into recovery mode again.

5. Open Terminal and re-enable SIP using the following command

csrutil enable

6. Reboot, and stash away the contents of your ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode/Downloads folder, just in case you ever need to go through this again (you probably don't need to save the ".dvtdownloadableindex" files). I've discovered that you can repopulate an empty "com.apple.dt.Xcode" downloads with the same files you stashed away and Xcode won't need to download them again, or at least until Apple updates them with new version numbers. As of this writing, my downloads directory contains the following files:

com.apple.adc.documentation.OSX-1011.4.dmg

com.apple.adc.documentation.Xcode-700.3.dmg

com.apple.adc.documentation.iOS-90.3.dmg

com.apple.adc.documentation.watchOS-2.2.dmg

com.apple.pkg.iPhoneSimulatorSDK8_1-8.1.1.1434581536.dmg

com.apple.pkg.iPhoneSimulatorSDK8_2-8.2.1.1434581536.dmg

com.apple.pkg.iPhoneSimulatorSDK8_3-8.3.1.1434581536.dmg

com.apple.pkg.iPhoneSimulatorSDK8_4-8.4.1.1435785476.dmg

Tip of the hat to MNagler

I have the same problem too.

Btw, I have a 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM. The system ran well with XCode 6.Now I installed XCode 7 and its not that fast (but OK). However the Simulator takes up to 4-5 Min to run my apps! Any idea? Thanks.

This should *really* not be required. Please make sure you file radars about this problem. If you have filed some already, please reference them here.

I have the same issue on Xcode 7.0.1. I haven't filed a radar yet.