Yosemite to El Capitan GM - Mail crash

Hello folks,

nice keynote yesterday. I just did my update on my MBA 2014 from Yosemite to El Cap GM -> Mail crashes (as in every beta before on my iMac).

Deactivated my Exchange accounts - no change.

Any ideas about?

Thanks in advance.

Hartmut from Austria

Replies

Hi,

same situation here. Updated my MacBook Pro 2009 from Yosemite to El Capitan and Mail crashes 😟

_

I just had a closer look at the crash report and found the reason for me. Do you have GPGSuite installed? Try to uninstall it (http://support.gpgtools.org/kb/faq/uninstall-gpg-suite)... this solved the issue 🙂

I had the same thing happen to me. I deleted the Gmail Account. Then I added it back. Works flawless now.

Update:

Crashed on Gmail again. Disabled gmail for now

Disabeling gmail does not help in my case.

Confirmed - I uninstalled GPGMail and all is working again.

Hello Hartmut,

There's a good chance that this is being caused by a Mail Plugin or an issue with the Mail container. You can diagnose (and hopefully fix) the issue as follows:

Removing System-wide Mail Plugins:

These are plugins that have been installed to be system-wide, meaning that all user accounts on the Mac will have access to them through Mail app.

1. Quit out of Mail app
  2. From the OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+G and go to the following path:

/Library/Mail/Bundles/

3. Locate the plugin to delete, typically named “PluginName.mailbundle” and drag it to the Trash
  4. Relaunch Mail app if finished

Next up, check the user Mail plugin directory. The path looks almost identical, but they are two separate locations on the Mac file system.

Uninstalling User Mail Plugins:

You will also want to check the user Mail Bundles directory, the process of uninstalling the user plugins is the same as above except the directory path is different:

1. From OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+G and target following path:

~/Library/Mail/Bundles/

2. Delete the plugin as necessary (with a .mailbundle suffix) by dragging it to the Trash
  3. Relaunch Mail app

Rebuild the Container:

If Mail still isn't working, you can diagnose if this being caused by an issue with one of Mail's resource files by forcing Mail to rebuild them (this has nothing to do with rebuilding a mailbox). Quit Mail and move the following folder to the desktop (you can press shift+cmd+G from Finder and copy-paste if you need to):

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Restart your Mac. Open Mail again and let me know whether the issue re-occurs...

Max.

Max,

I'm having trouble after updating from beta 5 to GM with all of my "On my Mac" archives folders (and emails) disappearing. (I had this same issue going to beta 6 and had to return to v1 and update to v5 beta.) I have no problems with Gmail or other mail folders in the InBox or even in the Sent box; those emails seem stable.

When I follow your instructions above in beta 5 (moving com.apple.mail to desktop) and restart mail, all the folders inside "On my Mac" also disappear, just like when I updated to GM. When I move the folder back into the Container folder, and re-start Mail, the folders and emails are present again.

How can I stabilize this thing and move onto GM without losing my "On my Mac" folders?

Thanks.

That worked for me as well. Thanks

Hi NPBlues,

I'm happy to try to help. It sounds like your issue is quite different to the one that the original poster of this question has though. Would you mind creating your own question (Just copy your post and post it as a question here: OS X 10.11 beta). I've found that troubleshooting multiple issues in one thread can get confusing for all concerned.

Thanks,

Max.

I was able to Delete V2

~/Library/Mail

It solved all gmail problems

Verified this as well. Running the uninstaller for the GPG suite resolves the issue.

This help me:

Rebuild the Container:

If Mail still isn't working, you can diagnose if this being caused by an issue with one of Mail's resource files by forcing Mail to rebuild them (this has nothing to do with rebuilding a mailbox). Quit Mail and move the following folder to the desktop (you can press shift+cmd+G from Finder and copy-paste if you need to):

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

THX

Glad it worked for you 🙂

You just solved a problem that bugged me for 3 days! Thank you!