The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (14).

Trying to upgrade iPhone 6 from beta 5 to GM. Seeing this error in iTunes. On the phone, the white progress bar gets to about 15% before this error is displayed.

Accepted Reply

Thanks for the help everyone! I got it sorted.

The issue was that my extracted ipsw file was corrupted, in spite of the fact that the dmg file was correct. I verified this by running "unzip file.ipsw" and discovering that the CRC was wrong for one of the files. I then extracted the ipsw from the dmg again, and now the update is working.

I'm not running a beta build of El Cap, I'm still on Yosemite. Quite strange that I ran into an issue at this point. I suspect a hardware issue. I'll be looking into my drive's SMART statistics... perhaps I have bad sectors.

Replies

Keep getting the same error, but I have been able to upgrade to 8.4.1, 9.1 beta 1, and 9.0 beta 5. It's just 9.0 GM that eludes me.

Here's what I've tried:
1. Different USB port

2. Different USB cable

3. Downloading the dmg again using a VPN to verify my local CDN didn't ***** it up

4. Restoring from DFU mode

5. Updating from DFU mode

6. Entering DFU mode using methods 1 and 2.

I'll try method 3.

This is the relevant stuff from Console.log

9/10/15 12:24:40.547 AM iTunes[4119]: tid:1fe8b - dumping CFError returned by restored:
9/10/15 12:24:40.547 AM iTunes[4119]: tid:1fe8b - CFError domain:AMRestoreErrorDomain code:14 description:failed to restore image

iTunes has also been throwing me the error 14 and sometimes I'll get error 11 when installing iOS 9 GM / 9.1 beta. It's weird cause I was able to update my iPads 10 minutes ago now I'm getting error for my iPhone 6 Plus.

Thanks for the help everyone! I got it sorted.

The issue was that my extracted ipsw file was corrupted, in spite of the fact that the dmg file was correct. I verified this by running "unzip file.ipsw" and discovering that the CRC was wrong for one of the files. I then extracted the ipsw from the dmg again, and now the update is working.

I'm not running a beta build of El Cap, I'm still on Yosemite. Quite strange that I ran into an issue at this point. I suspect a hardware issue. I'll be looking into my drive's SMART statistics... perhaps I have bad sectors.