No MKMapKit & WebKit ???

Why tvOS does not have support for Mapkit and webkit?

Replies

I think there's no need for WebKit since you can build a client-server app using JavaScript and TVML:

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppleTV_PG/YourFirstAppleTVApp.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015241-CH3-SW1

I'd wager that most mobile devs would think markup/Javascript to be a big step backwards. There's a reason hybrid apps are almost non-existent these days.

I agree, but for some reason Apple decided to go JavaScript/HTML + bridge to native (Swift/ObjectiveC). Which reason? Rapid application development maybe one. Faster rendering (backed by the WebKit Engine) on a limited capabilities device could be another. What else? 3rdParty no brainer app development, Predefined templates for a Bootstrap like web app....I think today we have several reasons we could discuss about...Basically a TVML client-server app is almost similar to a Facebook React-Native app https://facebook.github.io/react-native/.

Except every single embedded player on with tons of streaming content needs a webview and won't run in "TVML", ie YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc etc etc.. This is frustrating they aren't supporting webviews, I wanted to port my app but it doesn't seem possible. Why reinvent the wheel with TVML? Apple used to be a proponent of HTML5 mobile web development(i.e. first iPhone, flash debacle, etc), guess they are moving away from that.

I'd suspect the TVML simply defines layout that is translated to native UI elements and the JS is processed by JavaScript Core. I doubt there is much if any hybrid going on at the end of the day. The lack of MapKit seems odd.

Just because these frameworks do not appear in the first tvOS release does not mean they will not be available in a future version. Apple may have simply decided they were not ready to be included, or decided to wait until the platform matures.

Ppersonally, I am surprised and happy that they included so much native OS capability. This is a much faster progression to the API than provided for the original iPhone or Apple Watch

I think Apple has provided a lot of good templates for TVMLKit that will satisfy the need for your typical media viewing/listening services. After diving in last night I feel like TVML is probably the way most apps on the current generation Apple TV are developed, considering how consistent they all are.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a good weather app for your AppleTV? No MKMapView kind of makes that impossible, right? I want to write an app that displays the current position of things. We'd run this app on a breakroom TV. That's out too.

You may be able to get MapBox or Google Maps SDK running. Depending on what framework dependencies they have.

Google Maps seems to work in Simulator

Problem is, many people see YouTube as video hosting service when it actually is a service that gets their video and try to make money out of it. Anyhow, that's good for us TV/video services, most people that come to us these days are people which cannot broadcast on Apple TV

Why do you post the same response to all the threads? Sounds like you are trying to sell your services. Most of us don't want a service, we want to be able to use YouTube content and we need UIWebView to use the embedded player. YouTube is a service. I use it ALL the time for my videos I uploaded. I am NOT trying to make any money off of it, and YouTube is definitely NOT making any money off of my videos.

Anyway, stop spamming the forum please.