tvOS Simulator?

Hello! I just finished downloading Xcode 7.1 Beta, and when attempting to run a sample project it tells me that "No supported tvOS devices are available. Connect a device to run your application or choose a simulated device as the destination.". However, I am not able to select the simulator to build in as it is just not present.

Am I missing a step somewhere, or am I just not looking in the correct location to set my simulator.

Also, upon attempting to open the simulator in 7.1 at all it just crashes and gives me an error. I am currently on 10.10.4 on my Mac Pro. Do I need to be on El Capitan?

Accepted Reply

Looks like when I was compiling something it made libiconv outdated. Luckally I had a backup. Restoring that fixed it.

Replies

You need to add a tvOS device in the list of simulators. I haven't put Xcode 7.1 onto a pre 10.11 OS X yet - I'd expect to be able to run it on Yosemite though...

Currently on 10.10.5 and I was able to create and run a new tvOS project without issue. Not sure where you hangup might be.

Can you please explain how to add tvOS simulator ?

I'm having the same problem. Creating a new project for tvOS shows the Apple TV simulator as a run destination, but when I try to set up an existing project to use the tvOS SDK the Apple TV simulator doesn't show up as an option.

When attempting to create a new simulator (Window > Devices > + in bottom left) it will hang for a moment, then do nothing. Is there something that I am doing wrong? It seems to just not be allowing me to create a new simulator.

When I try to open the simulator I just get a crash.

I have updated to 10.10.5 but this has not solved the issue. Do I need to be in the ($99/year) developer program?

I doubt that not being in the developer program is the issue. Can you try reinstalling Xcode or try it on another system?

Do you have an older version of Xcode installed? That's been the cause of a similar issue in recent memory.

By default was missing for me too, but doing the following I was able to add a simulator and run the project:

1. Windows > Devices > +
  2. Create a new simulator with a device type of "Apple TV 1080p"

I did have an old version installed, I attempted to uninstall it (by dragging it to the recycle bin and emptying it) but it had no effect. I also redownloaded Xcode 7.1 Beta completely and that did not work either. Creating a new tvOS project does not fix the issue.

Could be be that I am running OSX 10.10.5 and not 10.11?

I really doubt that it's because you're on 10.10.5. Xcode betas should definitely work with the latest stable release of OS X, which is what you've got (and there's also hotcakes below). Try creating a new user account and reinstalling Xcode there or else try another system if you have one.

I tried that, it just hangs then does nothing. Attempting to directly launch a simulator using Xcode > Open Developer Tool > Simulator gives this error:

Simulator cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Simulator works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

I have reinstalled three times, as well as erased the old version of Xcode I had on my computer.

I will try my MacBook Pro right now and see if that works.

On my MacBook Pro (which did not have Xcode installed previously) works just fine, however, my Mac Pro still does not. Could I have missed something or preformed the uninstallation incorrectly before?

In theory deleting the Xcode app should be sufficient. However, in practice, Xcode leaves all kinds of .plist files etc. around that the new version reads (because it uses the same filenames to record what you are doing with your projects etc.)

You can see which ones are still around with the following command in Terminal:

find ~ -iname *xcode*

Confirm that there's nothing you'll miss and then you can delete them all with:

sudo find ~ -iname *xcode* -delete

Then run:

find ~ -iname *xcode*

again to make sure they're all gone. You may have to remove some manually.

Do I need to remove every single file, or will just the system files do? I do not really want to delete every single xcode project on my desktop...

The worrying thing is directly launching the Simulator file does not work at all, it just crashes instantly (I can provide a crash report if it would help at all)