El Capitan missing clone/copy in Disk Utility?

First time I've needed it, and it seems to be missing in action...

I knew Disk Utility was totally overhauled, I just didn't expect them to jettison a core feature like disk copy/clone that has been there since pre-osx days if I recall. I know I sure have relied on it over the years.

So, is it really gone, or just hiding in a place I can't find it?

Accepted Reply

And.... I did find it.

I made a new partition on a new disk, selected it, and then in the Edit menu there is a "Restore" item [first one, actually] that has you select the partition you are restoring FROM onto the one you had selected in the main window.

So, in case anyone else is wondering, there it is. I haven't tested it yet, but it looks like the right thing. 🙂

-Steve

Replies

Hi Smp,

You can still make a disk image of a volume by selecting it in the sidebar and then File > New Image > Image from "..."

The option used to be right there in the main GUI so, as you indicated, it seems to have been relegated somewhat.

Max.

I didn't mean an image as to a file, but more using what was "Restore", to copy one disk partition to another directly. Is that there in the FIle menu? I didn't see it.

And.... I did find it.

I made a new partition on a new disk, selected it, and then in the Edit menu there is a "Restore" item [first one, actually] that has you select the partition you are restoring FROM onto the one you had selected in the main window.

So, in case anyone else is wondering, there it is. I haven't tested it yet, but it looks like the right thing. 🙂

-Steve