What to change in our app so it passes 17.2 issue with Facebook login

Hi,

We have been trying to get our app, Intersect, accepted on the App Store for a few weeks, and we keep getting rejected because of 17.2 - Apps that require users to share personal information, such as email address and date of birth, in order to function will be rejected.

It says that “In order to use Facebook for authentication, your app must include significant account-specific functionality from Facbook.”

We do have several account-specific functionalities from Facebook like mutual friends, profile picture (it’s very important for us to have the user’s real identity), gender and age (also need to be real), etc so Facebook is crucial for us. Besides, Tinder and other apps (Happn, Highlight, Hinge, etc) use it in a similar way.

We want to make sure our app is ready for launch in at most 1 week and don't want any more delays.

My question for you is what would we need to do to get rid of this issue with facebook login?

Would allowing the user to see the feed but not be able to use the “add friend” feature before completing their profile (through Facebook) comply with App Store Guidelines and be enough to get the app accepted?

I’d very much appreciate your reply.

Thanks,

Laurence

Replies

A lot of folks are puzzling over how to comply with regulation 17.2 now that App Review has apparently toughened its standards on what's acceptable. I'm not sure entirely what they're getting at, but it seems to me that in order for your app to use Facebook as the sole login/authentication mechanism, you need to include more features from Facebook. That's just a guess, so maybe contact App Review to ask for clarification using this link:

https://developer.apple.com/appstore/contact/appreviewboard/index.html

It looks like what Apple is starting to crack down on is strictly using the Facebook login feature for an app. What they want is the app must use some part of Facebook functionality if a Facebook login is required, like posting pictures to the user's account.

I'll bet Apple has been getting lots of complaints from App Store users that every app requires a Facebook login because developers are getting lazy by using Facebook APIs instead of writing their own login screens.

That makes sense. Good thought.

I'm not sure this is correct because users are able to post with my app and it's still rejected.

I also am not sure that it's about developers getting lazy; OAuth through Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc is kind of an encouraged standard in my opinion.

Well, I really would like to know, what Apple means with all this rejections. Couse our app (rejected 2x) , use facebook login for auth but: Navigations is personaized by user facebook´s likes. Users can see all the friends from facebook that are using the app. Can share using facebook. Can see photo and name ID. Also the friends UI are influenced by the friends choices. But for Apple seems to not be enough use of Facebook Features. Besides its a first version for IOS, will be - Like any other app - improves using facebook features in new versions... Any suggestion? Thank you!

There are two issues here:

1) if the app requires facebook login it must use some facebook functionality

2) the app must function at some level without requiring personal information from the user - that means you must have the app do something before the user is required to log into facebook

Were you able to find any resolution on this?