iPad App installed in kiosks

Hello

We would need support with an in-house distribution project (enterprise distribution): an iPad App that will be installed in kiosks.

Kiosks will hide all the device buttons (standby, volume, etc).

Every iPad will be locked in single App mode.

The question is: Is it possible to ensure that the App can update automatically (without user interaction) as soon as an update is available? via MDM?

Will the app update when running? And once updated, can the app restart autonomously?

Replies

Did you somehow get an answer to this question in the meantime?

I'm facing the same question at the moment: Is it possible to update an app that is locked in single app mode via MDM?

Any help would be highly appreciated ☺️

I have found that app updates that are pushed to an app locked in Single App Mode do not get installed while the app is running. If you take the device out of Single App Mode, the user will receive a prompt asking if they want to upgrade the app.

If the app is force quit remotely then the app will automatically update without requiring a user. After waiting a "little while" for the app to install you can take the device into Single App Mode and the upgraded app will then launch.

Its a little iffy, but that's the only way I've found to update an app remotely without user intervention. If you find a better way, please let me know 🙂

I'm still curious about this is, as well. My understanding is that as of iOS 11.3 silent upgrades of apps in single-app mode can be pushed to devices, either as an internally managed app or a publicly managed app from the App Store, and the device will begin using the new app upon installation. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!