iOS Simulator Does Not Recognize Japanese Base Localization

I need to develop an app for the japanese market, with additional suppoert for a small number of english speaking users.

The storyboards will be created in Japanese, and at a later stage exported as .xliff for translation into english.

I can not afford to develop the UI in English, and transalte it to Japanese afterwards (the development team is Japanese), so I have a setup where the "Base" localization is assumed to be Japanese, and English is at most another localization:

In Project Settings > Info, I have

Localizations
Language                            Resources
English - Development Language      3 Files Localized"

alone, and "Use Base Localizations" checked.

I created the storyboards for the Base localization in Japanese, and added corresponding .strings files for English.

The target's Info.plist specifies "Localization native development region" as "Japan".

When I set the language of my iPhone 5s to English and launch the app, it shows the English label. If I change the device language to Japanese and re-launch the app, it displays in Japanese as expected.

However, if I try the Simulator (iPhone 5, iOS 9), the user interface (UILabel in storyboard) appears with the English text, even if the Simulator is set to Japanese.

Perhaps I am approaching this with the wrong setup, but it does work on the device...