How Would You Know if Your iMac Has a the Correct Firmware?

Hi. I got curious and run a file called FirmwareUpdate.pkg in the Updates folder (in Library). It's run like a normal installer, no warnings or anything. When I restarted the iMac (late 2009 Quad-Core) right after the desktop disappeared the screen went black for 1 second accompanied by a strange beep that I've only heard the first time (this iMac will be 5 & half years old but some individual parts are newer like the hardisk thanks to Apple Care) continouos1 second beep. After that it restarted with the usual Mac reboot sound but it had a logo on a status bar that's bigger than the usual (this is on El Capitan Beta). It did boot but now I don't want to shut it down because it might brick the iMac. I checked the SMC Version, it's 1.54f36 and the iMac's identifier is iMac11,1, Processor Name: Intel Core i7.

What just happened with I run FirmwareUpdate.pkg? Was it that easy to flash the firmware nowadays (no checking if the firmware is compatible with your Mac)?

I'm on the desktop now, it looks normal but I'm not sure if I should shut it down (though that's ok coz' it's on Safe Mode and redownloading Beta 7 might work on safe mode coz' it failed to be verified the first time it completed the download, unfortunately erasing that update and now it has to be redownloaded from the start again- but it should be a blessing in disguise).

But to be at ease, it's best to always see what seems to be bad, always, as a blessing in disguise.

Thank you. God bless. Rev. 21:4

Accepted Reply

Hi Alvin,

See my reply to your other post as to how to get the full installer for Beta 7. The FirmwareUpdate you found in the Updates folder will have been downloaded by the App Store when it installed an update. All OS X Updates come with a firmware update to match the OS X version - even though you normally don't see it in the App Store alongside the beta - this is not the kind of firmware update that reflashes anything though, so don't worry - you're fine to reboot normally.

There are other kinds of specifc firmware updates that address the Flash Storage, Video, EFI, Retina Display, etc. across a range of Macs and then there are also specific firmware updates to address issues in particular models such as MacBookProLate2011 for instance.

Max.

Replies

Hi Alvin,

See my reply to your other post as to how to get the full installer for Beta 7. The FirmwareUpdate you found in the Updates folder will have been downloaded by the App Store when it installed an update. All OS X Updates come with a firmware update to match the OS X version - even though you normally don't see it in the App Store alongside the beta - this is not the kind of firmware update that reflashes anything though, so don't worry - you're fine to reboot normally.

There are other kinds of specifc firmware updates that address the Flash Storage, Video, EFI, Retina Display, etc. across a range of Macs and then there are also specific firmware updates to address issues in particular models such as MacBookProLate2011 for instance.

Max.